40 hours per week. day shift
Job Summary: Under general supervision, perform patient scheduling functions and check out duties in addition to a significant amount of higher level work. Higher level work may include a combination of TES (transaction editing system) duties, medical coding, lead responsibilities, financial coordination, etc. Complete certification program and maintain accuracy standards.
Education/Experience: High school graduate or equivalent plus three years of clerical experience, six months of which must be at the Patient Scheduling Coordinator level or equivalent. Ability to function independently in an intensive clinical setting. Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously. Knowledge of third party payor requirements. Basic knowledge of ICD-9 and CPT coding or willingness to complete these courses upon employment. Data entry accuracy of 5000 kph with 3% or less error rate.
Licensure, Certification and/or Registration: Basic Cardiac Life Support required within 30 days of hire.
Generic Job Description
1. Schedule clinical appointments for new and returning patients with independent judgment and discretion to priority using the IDX system. Follow Clinical Operations standards to promote a cooperative work and patient care environment.
2. Coordinate extensive laboratory work and diagnostic testing for patients using LastWord, NotesLink, Logician, etc., or manual lab slips; anticipate necessary lab work and testing based on knowledge of patient needs.
3. Complete scheduling information promptly with 97% accuracy, including patient demographics, insurance information, employer information, emergency contact information and other required data in the IDX registration screen. Ask patient to verify accuracy of registration data.
4. Enter and verify insurance information in IDX. Interact with insurance companies for benefit verification as required. Determine if referrals or prior authorizations are required.
5. Make daily judgments over the telephone as to the timeframe in which patients should be seen based on past experience and the examination of patient charts.
6. Call in prescriptions for physicians, as instructed.
7. Perform complex coordination among WFUHS physicians, external physicians, patients, nurses, and outside testing laboratories to assure that all necessary tests are performed and paperwork is complete. Coordinate departmental consult service as directed.
8. Perform IDX schedule maintenance based on provider needs.
9. Coordinate testing for inpatients, using judgment and discretion as to the seriousness of condition to properly plan for transportation, timeframe of tests, and types of test performed.
10. Assure that each patient's chart is fully prepared prior to the visit, including chart work-up, assuring that all dictation is present and in the correct order, all tests are ordered, and special patient needs have been anticipated.
11. Answer by phone and in person inquiries concerning clinic policies and procedures. Initiate and facilitate the resolution of patient issues and complaints utilizing other Medical Center professionals as needed. Practice excellent customer service skills. Accommodate patient's special needs (e.g., interpreter).
12. Assist in the training of less experienced personnel as instructed.
13. Process transaction editing system (TES) files by obtaining requested information. Perform medical coding as needed to assure proper billing for services rendered.
14. Coordinate surgeries using discretion as to timeframes, instruments needed, room availability, and physician schedule. Obtain precertifications and coordinate activities with NCBH as required; assure that patient has all necessary information.
15. Perform financial duties such as authorizing or obtaining authorization for insurance, reviewing encounter forms, assisting with medical coding, providing assistance to patients regarding billing questions, etc.
16. Complete required educational programs to remain current on job responsibilities and fulfill compliance requirements. Successfully complete the WFUP Certification Program.
17. Attend and participate in the development of the WFUP Clinical Operations Departmental meetings regularly.
18. Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Skills and Qualifications:
Experience using IDX.
Experience with Medipac and LastWord.
Experience with managed care or health insurance company.
Physical Requirements:Amount of time spent performing the following activities:
0% 35% 65%
to to to
35% 65% 100% N/A Activity
X Reaching with arms
X Finger and hand dexterity
X Lifting, carrying, pushing and or pulling:
X 20 lbs. maximum
X 50 lbs. maximum
X 100 lbs. maximum