Who are we?
Ethical Culture Fieldston is a progressive Pre-K-12 independent school that has been serving students throughout New York City and the surrounding suburbs since 1878. ECFS offers a rich curriculum in the arts, sciences, and humanities. A co-ed, nonsectarian school, it serves a diverse community of about 1,700 students on two campuses - one in the Riverdale section of the Bronx and the other in Manhattan.
What is essential about working at our school?
The Ethical Culture Fieldston School has a long history of equity and inclusion, deeply rooted in our mission and the educational philosophy of our founder, Felix Adler. We embrace diversity of ancestry, family, identity, culture, and belief and seek a student body and faculty who reflect the pluralism and socio-economic diversity of metropolitan New York. We affirm both our differences and commonalities and strive to balance individuality and community. In keeping with our progressive tradition, we are dedicated to increasing our students’ cultural literacy to help them understand multiple perspectives and see the world beyond the self. We expect members of our community to engage in open dialogue about living and learning in a diverse environment inside and outside the classroom. We see this work, with its creative tensions, as a catalyst for individual and collective growth. On a daily basis, we are committed to making this vision of a pluralistic and progressive school a reality.
The Associate Director of Leadership Giving will report directly to the Chief Philanthropy Officer and will be responsible for stewardship of ECFS’ leadership donors to the Orange Fund (annual fund) and any capital or specific campaigns.
- Manage a portfolio of leadership donors
- Develop and maintain systems for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship tracking in collaboration with the Chief Philanthropy Officer
- Strategize and collaborate with Chief Philanthropy Officer, board committee co-chairs, and Head of School to help develop short-term and long-term donor stewardship
- Lead wealth screening activities and prospect analysis for department
- Arrange meetings for Head of School, Chief Philanthropy Officer, and volunteer solicitors with prospective donors and prepare solicitation materials
- Prepare research files for solicitation meetings
- Organize and schedule follow up items that arise from solicitation meetings
- Provide support to the Board’s advancement and campaign committees
- Develop case and marketing collateral by collecting data, conducting interviews, and gathering background materials
- Draft proposals for campaign priorities to individuals and family foundations
- Partner with special events staff to plan and execute leadership donor events
- Capture details of donor interactions in Raiser's Edge
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of relevant work experience, working in development for an independent school, university or nonprofit organization
- Commitment to the school’s mission, familiarity with Ethical Culture Fieldston School a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional level of organization and project management skills
- Ability to anticipate project needs, discern work priorities, and meet deadlines with little supervision
- Desire to be part of a team and a community with the capacity to work well independently
- Ability to think strategically, creatively, analytically, and deal effectively with challenges
- Willingness to work nights and weekends as required
ECFS is an equal opportunity employer. Our goal is to be a diverse community of professionals who broadly reflects the people of the metropolitan New York City area, our students, and families. We aim to align our hiring process with our mission and institutional goals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion or religious practices, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, citizenship status, national origin, age, ability status, military status, unemployment status or any other category protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws. ECFS takes affirmative action in support of its policy to employ and advance all qualified candidates.