INDEED HIRE is partnering with Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation in search of a Compliance Specialist.
Established in 1981, TNDC employs more than 400 staff, who develop, own, manage and provide supportive services across more than 3,500 homes in 39 properties that offer deeply affordable, and to expand its work in community organizing and after-school programming.
Under the direct supervision of the Compliance Manager, the Compliance Specialist is responsible for a portfolio of TNDC’s properties as they relate to Compliance and Regulatory obligations which may include some organizational operations processes. The Compliance Specialist provides effective and productive oversight of each property’s compliance, regulatory requirements (including some reporting), fair housing, auditing coordination, and training (as it relates to compliance and some operational processes).
- Regularly assist Compliance team in performing audits of files for sites with upcoming regulatory agency inspections and audits.
- Provide leadership at assigned sites that need assistance with annual recertifications. This will include working on-site at specified properties providing a leadership role throughout the process as well as assisting with performing annual recertifications.
- Work on in-depth projects as required which may involve intensive scrutiny or restoration of tenant files and other program aspects at a property.
- Assist in the lease up process of newly constructed and newly renovated properties.
- Responsible for meeting internal and external deadlines and schedules for lease-ups, file completion, and other critical processes, including Tax Credit, HUD, and other program timelines.
- Ensure compliance with all Fair Housing laws; remain current on fair housing requirements.
- Responsible for guaranteeing that all the correct forms and procedures are used for subsidy programs, Housing Authority compliance, and low-income housing credit compliance.
- Coordinate periodic reporting by building staff on applicant status, application file management, and other key property management business processes.
- Audit properties for compliance with applicable laws and funder requirements.
- Attend regular meetings with the Compliance Manager for reporting and direction.
- In conjunction with the Compliance Team, ensures compliance with all funding sources and regulatory agencies.
- Train new on-site staff on all occupancy and TNDC policies and procedures, including but not limited to resident files and file retention, certifications, and reporting requirements.
- Ensure that systems are in place to monitor site compliance with all regulatory agreements and requirements and according to TNDC policies.
- Ensure full compliance through site audits, one-on-one and group training.
- The following are duties and responsibilities for providing coverage of vacant or absent general manager positions. Some or all of these duties and responsibilities may be included when assigned to a property.
- Manage the day-to-day administration of the property office in a clean and well organized manner, which includes answering telephones, interacting with residents in a courteous and professional manner, sorting, distributing, opening and answering mail daily, and handling resident inquiries and concerns.
- Process, complete and maintain accurate resident files at move-in and at each recertification within established regulatory guidelines.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements, which includes posting all licenses, permits, notices and occupancy permits required by federal, state and local jurisdictions; and preparation and submittal of reports in an accurate and timely manner.
- Ensure that all transactions are processed and inputted accurately and completely in Yardi.
- Review all completed rental applications and leases for accuracy and completeness, and for conformance to TNDC’s Resident Selection Policy.
- As needed, conduct unit tours and applicant interviews which include verifying potential resident income, in accordance with TNDC’s Resident Selection Policy, and program requirements.
- Maintain amiable relationships with all residents, and adhere to Fair Housing, Equal Employment and Equal Housing Opportunity requirements.
- Bachelor’s Degree and two years of equivalent experience OR Associate’s Degree and four years of affordable housing experience.
- Tax Credit Specialist (TCS) & Certified Occupancy Specialist (COS), or similar, or attainment within 6 months of hire.
- Training and experience in multiple regulatory programs: HUD, Tax Credit, HCD, and Section 8.
- Computer literate with experience in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access).
- Knowledge of Yardi property management software or comparable property management software in an implementation or training capacity.
- Experience with TRACS software.
- Bi-lingual or fluent in Spanish-English, Chinese-English, or Russian-English.
Job Type: Full-time
- Yardi: 1 year
- affordable housing regulations (HUD, Section 8): 2 years
- TRACS software: 1 year
- English and Spanish OR Russian OR Chinese