POSTION SUMMARY: Yocha Dehe Wintun Nation is seeking a highly effective communications professional with excellent writing and editing skills, knowledge of graphic design, solid skills in website and social media management and exceptional skills in project management to join our Communications Department. The Communications Manager will be responsible for overseeing the implementation of both internal and external communications strategies in a highly collaborative environment under the direction of the Director of Communications. The Communications Manager will generate, perfect and execute on-message content that furthers organizational goals, including raising awareness about California’s first people, their history, culture and present-day contributions to the region, State and Nation, ensuring messaging is clean, consistent and engaging. As a skilled writer, the Communications Manager will be comfortable performing tasks for dissemination through various external channels like articles, social media platforms and the governmental website, and various internal channels from annual reports to community informational flyers.
The Communications Department oversees external and internal communications. Functions in the department include: communication strategy and implementation, media/public relations, crisis communications, marketing communications, community affairs, employee communications, advertising, collateral development, website oversight, speechwriting, news release deliverables and executive support.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Develops materials to advance the tribal government’s messaging objectives for a range of channels, both internal and external communications.
· Copyedits and proofreads content to insure a highly polished final product.
· Ensures all communications are consistent and adheres to applicable branding and style guides.
· Ability to lay-out projects in Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign.
· Collaborates to develop programs, collateral material and premiums for various annual and one-time events.
· Interfaces effectively and respectfully with various departments, committees, tribal leadership and other stakeholders.
· Collaborates across numerous departments and committees to assist in executing highly visible and complex public events.
· Interfaces with vendors to secure and manage services required to produce high-quality content and collateral.
· Ability to write or help write speeches and talking points.
· Ability to curate images and video assets.
· Takes photos, as needed
· Identifies and assists with the implementation of emerging technologies designed to make communications workflow more efficient and effective.
· Performs general administrative functions and assists in day-to-day operations of the department.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
This job supervises the Administrative Assistant.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
· Must possess exceptional communication abilities including in writing, speaking, visual media and active listening.
· Demonstrated (tested) ability to correct and perfect flawed copy.
· Must possess the ability to communicate complicated and sensitive concepts to diverse interests in a clear and effective manner.
· Must be both creative and detail oriented, with an ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
· Ability to effectively engage with team members and stakeholders at all levels.
· Must be outcome oriented, with an understanding of strategies to chart progress and effectiveness of communications efforts.
· Ability to work in strict confidence.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in communications, journalism, public relations or other, related field. A minimum of four (4) years of experience creating and disseminating messages for large audiences and/or on behalf of complex organizations.
Experience with developing contracts and resolutions for communications work, preferred. Knowledge of operations and needs of tribal governments, desired.
Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications with the ability to use word processing, electronic mail, multimedia, spreadsheets and database management software. Experience with Mac operating system, Adobe Acrobat Pro, InDesign and Photoshop a plus.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Individuals must be able to successfully pass the Tribal Gaming Agency (TGA) Background Check. Must possess a valid drivers’ license and maintain a driving record that is satisfactory to the Tribe’s insurance carrier.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodations.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and stand, walk. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodations. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Additional Conditions of Employment
Must have the ability to work after-hours with occasional travel. Must recognize and maintain strict confidentiality and ensure security of sensitive Tribal Council matters and actions. Must be able to work with diverse population and with cultural sensitivity. Must be willing to sign the Tribe’s Non-Disclosure, Non-Disparagement and Confidentiality Agreement.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $85,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Brooks, CA: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Writing skills: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: In person