Full Job Description
Title: Invasive Species Strike Team Supervisor
Position Type: Seasonal appointment (May-October). Full time (40 hours/week). Mandatory multi-day training will be held in late May.
Program Description: The NYS OPRHP Strike Team on Long Island independently towards the Agency’s statewide Invasive Species Management strategy. Strike team primarily perform manual invasive plant removals, as well as surveys, education and other activities as assigned on State Park lands. team will report to Connetquot River State Park Preserve in Oakdale, travel to other State Parks on Long Island using agency vehicles The team will have four members, one of which will be the supervisor.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Receiving weekly schedules and reporting back progress at the end of the week
- Organizing daily activities, troubleshooting minor logistical and mechanical issues
- Keeping team members safe
- Ensuring accurate data collection
- Working hard alongside crew members
- Manual and mechanical removal of invasive species
- Field data collection and entry
- Post-removal monitoring
- Park patron education
- A degree in forestry, environmental studies, ecology, natural resources management, or a relevant discipline, such as aquatic ecology, conservation biology, etc.
- One year or more experience with invasive species identification and control methods
- One year supervisory experience minimum
- Strong organizational skills in field setting
- A working knowledge of GPS/GIS and ecological monitoring methods
- Ability to work, and maintain a good attitude, while performing physical work in spring, summer, and fall conditions. Work conditions include uneven terrain, heat, cold, and exposure to poison ivy, thorns, ticks, and biting insects. Appropriate protective equipment will be provided.
- Strong interest in and commitment to environmental stewardship and team-oriented approach to solving environmental challenges
- Backcountry orienteering and Leave No Trace experience a plus.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
Pay rate is adjusted for cost of living and is $16.94/hour
All positions do not include health care benefits or paid leave.
- cover letter
- three references
- completed part 1 pre-employment
Part 1 Pre-employment application can be found at http://nysparks.com/employment/park-employment.aspx
Job Type: Temporary
Salary: $17.00 to $18.00 /hour
- field work: 1 year (Preferred)
- drivers license (Required)
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
- Monday to Friday
- Day shift
- 8 hour shift