Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center
A quaternary care facility that is home of the Texas Heart® Institute, a world-class cardiovascular research and education institution founded in 1962 by Denton A. Cooley, MD–consistently ranked as one of the nation’s best in Cardiovascular Services & Heart Surgery.
The first hospital in Texas and the Southwest designated a Magnet® hospital for Nursing Excellence by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, receiving the award four consecutive times. Baylor St. Luke’s is home to three freestanding community emergency centers (Holcombe, Pearland, and San Felipe) offering adult and pediatric care–treating more than 51,000 patients annually. The hospital holds a collaborative partnership with Baylor College of Medicine and affiliations with The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, The University of Texas Medical Branch (Galveston), Houston Baptist University, and Prairie View A&M University.
Responsible for the delivery of excellence in patient care through assessing, formulating nursing diagnoses and establishing goals, planning and implementing intervention and evaluating patient care outcomes. With the staff nurse's professional practice he/she Responsible for participating in and maintaining quality, cost effectiveness and guest relations. Provide patient care in compliance with hospital policies and procedures and the standards of professional nursing practice as defined by the Board of Nurse Examiners for the State of Texas.
- Medical Center-Bachelor's Degree for all transfers and new hires
- Community Hospitals-Associate's Degree
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Based on location assignment may also require BLS/ACLS/ and or PALS
1. Demonstrates accountability for professional development that improves the quality of professional practice and patient care.
2. Serves as a highly engaged and full partner on the care team and responds willingly to care team member needs for assistance.
3. Adapts to change and demonstrates flexibility with the change process.
4. Leads multidisciplinary rounds to facilitate appropriateness of care and smooth transitions across the continuum.
5. Effectively applies the nursing process within the framework of the organization’s professional model of care, using the nursing process to meet the clinical, psychosocial and spiritual needs of the patient and family.
6. Formulates a plan of care and daily goals that takes into consideration the individualized needs of the patient.
7. Effectively delegates care as appropriate while retaining accountability for the quality of care given to patients and families.
8. Consistently documents in the patient and unit records according to written health system standards of care in order to meet legal and quality patient care requirements.
9. Provides safe therapeutic care in a holistic and systematic way. Incorporates differences into the provision of care. Integrates knowledge, skills and experiences to meet the needs of patients and families throughout the continuum.
10. In conjunction with case management, develops a plan to connect the patient and family to the appropriate community resources to meet their post-acute care needs.
11. Incorporates national and organizational goals to improve quality, patient safety and satisfaction.
12. Creates a caring and compassionate patient focused experience by building healing relationships with patients, families, and colleagues.
13. Identifies ethical situations within patient care or within the workforce and seeks to mitigate as appropriate.
14. Practices solid communication skills and is able to articulate and translate the patient’s condition to physicians and other colleagues; effectively utilizes AIDET and SBAR communication methods.
15. Demonstrates knowledge of principles of adult learning (and/or teaching children) and applies in teaching patients, families, students and new staff.
16. Provides detailed and appropriate teaching to patients and families to meet regulatory requirements and effectively prepare them for the episode of care as well as transitions from one level of care to another.
17. Creates an environment of open dialogue, inquiry, and continuous development by asking for feedback and improving practice.
18. Identifies opportunities for quality improvement to colleagues and management.
19. Applies evidence-based practice as a regular aspect of professional practice.
20. Ensures improvements in the practice setting by assuming responsibility for self-development in life-long learning.
21. Demonstrates commitment to the goals and values of patient, hospital, community and nursing profession through cost containment measures, maintaining confidentiality, appropriate ethical decision-making, adherence to organizational policies and procedures, and ensuring patient safety.
22. Demonstrates an understanding of cultural intelligence, workplace horizontal violence and impairment and holds peers accountable for healthy relationships.
23. Models safe work hours, time management and healthy lifestyles.
24. Participates in unit-based shared governance activities while on duty.
25. Takes personal accountability for improving quality, patient safety and satisfaction outcomes.
26. Participates in quality of care activities, evaluates the quality and effectiveness of nursing practice.
Validation is required for the skills needed in the following areas for providing care in Endoscopy:
- Airway Management; Blood Administration; GI system management; Moderate Sedation (conscious); Neuro Assessment; Specimen Handling; Restraints; Time Out; Endo Procedures (Bronchoscopy, Colonoscopy, ERCP, EGD, PEG & Gastrostomy tube placement, Small bowel enteroscopy, Esophageal Band ligation, Esophageal dilation, Balloon dilation, Colon decompression, Polypectomy, Biliary stent placement, Biliary stone removal, ERBE Cautery, Balloon Dilators, colon decompression tubes, biliary stents, brushes, and wires)
BLS and ACLS certification
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the essential functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.