7701 W. Paradise Lane – Peoria, Arizona 85382
Job Title: Cutter/Draper
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Costume Director
Supervises: Stitchers in conjunction with the Costume Director
Job Classification: Full Time with Benefits
Salary: $40,000 - $45,000/year depending on experience/qualifications.
Benefits Offered: Paid time off (Vacation/Sick), Health/Dental/Vision insurance, Retirement benefits or accounts & Employee discounts/complementary tickets.
Arizona Broadway Theatre seeks an experienced, skilled, and motivated Cutter/Draper (a full-time, exempt position) to round out our Costume Department. This individual will work closely with the Costume Director, Designer(s), Actors and Stitchers. They will analyze renderings and production research with the Costume Director to create custom costume patterns for the season’s productions. They will:
- Attend Costume Shop, Production Meetings and Dress Rehearsals as necessary.
- Maintain order and neatness in the shop and supply areas.
- Maintain a safe working environment.
- Fabricate patterns specific to both the design and the actor.
- Make yardage estimates, with the Costume Director, for all fabric and trim needs.
- Conduct and/or supervises proper cutting of the fabrics/patterns for costumes.
- Properly fit, alter and/or modify any patterns for garment construction.
- With the Costume Director, supervise Stitchers, and oversee all work for quality and completion.
- Advise Costume Director of progress and problems in building or finishing the costumes.
As the Cutter/Draper, in conjunction with the Costume Director, the individual is responsible for establishing and meeting construction/fitting deadlines, is responsible for interpretation of original design work and custom patterning/drafting/draping based on the design.
Typical Work Schedule: Monday through Friday 9am - 5pm with weekend/evening hours only when needed. The ABT Costume Shop prides itself on having a work-life balance while still meeting the needs of the production(s) it supports.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Serves as the communication link between Costume Director and staff when needed.
- In collaboration with the Costume Director, delegates specific show stitching assignments.
- Discusses each design of the production with the Costume Designer(s) and Costume Director.
- Performs drafting/draping/patterning of costume pieces for rendered designs.
- Tailors and/or alters costumes, as needed.
- Attends/supervises fittings in lieu of Costume Director as needed.
Education & Qualifications:
- Required: B.A., B.S., B.F.A. in Theatre, Technical Theatre, Costume and/or Fashion Design, Costume Technology, Costume Construction, or another degree with significant theatrical industry experience.
o Preferred but not required: M.F.A. in Costume Design/Technology
- In lieu of and/or addition to an earned degree, applicant must have had professional theatrical industry cutting/draping experience for a minimum of five (5) years.
- Working knowledge of all aspects of theatre production.
- Strong organizational and leadership skills.
- Knowledge of textiles and costume history.
- Thorough understanding of construction processes.
- Training/skilled in alterations and original pattern creation.
- Excellent communication skills – written, oral and visual.
- Ability to work with a flexible schedule.
- Must be willing to work as a positive member of the team.
- Must possess sufficient strength and stamina to lift and carry materials up to 50lbs.
- Must be able to perform physical activities such as lifting, bending, standing, climbing and/or walking.
How to Apply: Applications close April 21, 2023.
▪ Please submit all application materials to Dr. Heather Striebel at [email protected].
o Cover Letter
o Resume/CV with 3 References
o Link to online portfolio showing range of industry experience.
▪ Want to know more about our organization? Please visit our website at: https://azbroadway.org/
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $40,000.00 - $50,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Peoria, AZ 85382: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: In person