The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston is one of the world's most respected centers focused on cancer patient care, research, education and prevention. It was named the nation's No. 1 hospital for cancer care in U.S. News & World Report's 2018 rankings. It is one of the nation's original three comprehensive cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute.
The primary purpose of the Research Assistant I position is to provide technical assistance in carrying out various research projects. Conducts experiments and carries out research projects. Constructs, assembles and operates laboratory apparatus and equipment. Records and evaluates data in accordance with methods requested. Impacts laboratory research activities.
KEY FUNCTIONS/JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Plan and perform experiments in support of research projects in lab and/or field based on knowledge of scientific theory. Interpret and perform basic analyses of results.
- Manage and maintain the lab's mouse colony by breeding, genotyping, euthanizing animals and performing injections and surgical procedures as needed.
- Perform daily animal care and health check. Routine husbandry such as weaning and ear-tagging.
- Assist in experiments that require knowledge of molecular biology, cell-based assays, and tissue culture techniques.
- Maintain accurate, detailed records of the protocols and experimental data, including mouse record and data. Compile, write, and submit work reports to the supervisor.
- Assist in the preparation and submission of protocols and other documents. This requires a great deal of knowledge regarding experimental procedures, as well as excellent language and communication skills.
- Order centralized supplies and communicate cost-effective alternatives.
- Organize and develop training to ensure that lab members have current knowledge of specialized lab procedures.
- Perform laboratory maintenance such as maintaining/cleaning equipment, organizing repair procedures, maintain lab stocks, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide general lab support as needed.
- Help orient and train new staff or students
- Other duties may also be assigned
Bachelor's degree, major course work in one of the basic sciences.
Some experience in scientific or experimental research work.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
Part-Time Benefits Eligible
non-exempt, eligible for overtime, and is subject to the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
US Dollar (USD) 30,400
US Dollar (USD) 38,000
Maximum Salary :
US Dollar (USD) 45,600