Primary function of the Automation controls engineer will be to serve is the primary subject matter expert for automation and building controls for one or more fulfillment centers. Purpose of the role is to create a primary POC or gatekeeper for automation control, building control, materials handling equipment (MHE) system improvements, including MHE automation software upgrades, as well as work to identify, plan and manage network wide automation improvements and upgrades. The position will report to the leader of Automation Controls Engineering.
- Provides technical support to fulfillment center operations and engineering. Provides for continuous improvement of MHE operations through the design, selection and installation of new equipment and systems and the modification of existing equipment and systems. Provides support to maintenance operations. Creates and/or maintains current documentation of equipment and systems.
- Primary POC for MHE software updates and changes. Manages and coordinates MHE software deployments in collaboration with Change Manager(s).
- Responsible for management and maintenance of MHE and Controls Servers and networking equipment. May collaborate with corporate network engineering for support.
- Provides for the continuous improvement of processes, procedures, and equipment. Assures maximum reliability of equipment, processes and procedures, specs and builds physical equipment associated with data collection efforts. Specs and builds physical equipment associated with data collection efforts.
- Provides support to engineering and operations on design of MHE automated systems including evaluation and testing criteria.
- Design, develop and deploy machine and gauge control systems; integrated automation including PLC and VFD controls; HMI systems; and data collection systems, SQL / MySql, Oracle, etc.
- Research and develop cost savings initiatives through use of automation and machine controls.
- May provide complete project management for new machine and system modifications, installations and upgrades.
- Proven knowledge of security and access control systems such as Lenel, Sonitrol, Honeywell or similar systems
- Provide training, as required, for plant personnel in operation of the HMI and SCADA equipment.
- Knowledge of building systems operation, maintenance and controls including material handling equipment, HVAC, BAS and other automated system controls.
- Should have practical experience in network infrastructure and IP-based networks, both in implementation and support. Experience with Ethernet, Profibus, BacNet, Devicenet, Modbus and serial communications.
- Experience in programming and configuration of Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems such as Iconics, Wonderware, Intellution iFix; REBOL, HTML is preferred.
- Proven ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects and activities.
- Demonstrated successful communication and negotiation skills in order to manage conflicting and/or multiple demands, including ability to present to various level within an organization.
- Active participate on the FC change management team(s).
- Performs other assigned duties as determined by the manager.
Job Description Details
Works will independently and with teams
Able to effectively express complex concepts to individuals with less expertise
Eager to learn
Pays attention to details
Strong analytical skills
Strong communication and presentation skills
Able to create business cases to support new projects
Project management skills
Able to trouble shoot remotely if necessary
Must stay informed of all potential hardware and software changes within a facility
BS in electrical engineering or equivalent professional qualifications
Minimum of 5 years’ experience commissioning and troubleshooting machine/ process controls
Design, deployment, and testing experience with Allen Bradley controls
PLC troubleshooting and programming of Allen Bradley RS Logix 500/5000, Seimens, Modicon and similar systems.
Experience with all types of SCADA systems.
SQL 2008/2012 database mining and queries.
Fluent in editing and developing PLC programs.
10-20% travel may be required.
Automation Controls Engineer-Rocky Mount, NC
QVC, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Liberty Interactive Corporation (NASDAQ: QVCA, QVCB), is the world’s leading video and ecommerce retailer. QVC is committed to providing its customers with thousands of the most innovative and contemporary beauty, fashion, jewelry and home products. Its programming is distributed to approximately 300 million homes worldwide through operations in the U.S., Japan, Germany, United Kingdom, Italy and a joint venture in China. Based in West Chester, Pa. and founded in 1986, QVC has evolved from a TV shopping company to a leading ecommerce and mobile commerce retailer. The company’s website, QVC.com, is ranked among the top general merchant Internet sites.
QVC, Q, and the Q Ribbon Logo are registered service marks of ER Marks, Inc.
As an equal opportunity employer, QVC is committed to a diverse workforce and is also committed to a barrier-free employment process. In order to ensure reasonable accommodations for individuals pursuant to applicable law, individuals that require accommodation in the job application process for a posted position may contact us at CareersUS@QVC.com for assistance.