Activities include, but are not limited to, the collection of biological specimens for the purpose of performing laboratory procedures and assisting laboratory technologists in sample processing and other responsibilities.
Essential Job Duties:
1. Consistently obtains optimal quality specimens from inpatients and outpatients.
2. Responds promptly to computer orders and telephone requests
3. Explains the procedure to the patient and answers questions appropriately
4. Orders the correct tests as indicated on the Medical Provider’s requisition
5. Responds promptly to STAT and URGENT requests
6. Completes draw with one needle stick to obtain sufficient quantity of specimen greater than 95% of the time
7. Collects specimens other than blood samples, such as nasal and nasopharyngeal swabs, for testing
8. Demonstrates competency in non-waved testing such as Rapid Strep testing and BHCG testing on urines
9. Demonstrates competency in urine dipstick testing and setting up urine cultures
10. Labels all tubes correctly and completely
11. Demonstrates competency in specimen processing for samples dropped off by satellite facilities
12. Follows Universal Precautions
13. Maintains appropriate inventory of phlebotomy supplies
14. Notifies Primary Charge of the need to address patient questions or concerns related to Billing/Financial Services while to patient is still present in the lab
15. Demonstrates competency in utilizing CPSI for patient registration, order entry, medical necessity verification, result entry and result retrieval
16. Performs other tasks such as preparing collection kits, agar plate kits, disposing of outdated samples and scanning as necessary
17. Performs daily temperature readings and logging of temperatures on temperature sheets
1. No license required
2. Obtainment of Phlebotomy Certification required within the first 6 months of employment.
3. CPR and basic first aid recommended
Must be able to work Sunday through Saturday with occasional weekend and holiday coverage required. Employee will work on various shifts as assigned.
1. High school graduate or equivalent GED
2. Completion of in-house Phlebotomy training program