Mon., Tues (7 AM- 3 PM; ) Wed., Thu. (11 AM -7 PM); Fri. & 7 AM - 3 PM)
Performs whole blood collection procedures and allied activities at the fixed site in accordance with BBD guidelines as described below. This position is designed as an interim position for new employees until they develop and successfully demonstrate the skills to learn automated collection platforms.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. :
Required Education and Experience:
- Greets donors warmly and performs registration of donors in the BBCS system. Provides donors with required educational materials.
- Conducts donor interviews in a confidential professional manner to determine donor eligibilities according to BBD standards.
- Initiates whole blood procedures and monitors the donor’s progress, according to BBD collection guidelines. Ensures the unit weight is within BBD standard and was collected within the acceptable time frame. Provides prompt responses to adverse donor reactions.
- Prepares for donor interviews and blood collection by ensuring that interview materials and phlebotomy equipment and supplies are set up and/or operable in keeping with QC standards.
- Performs post draw activities including but not limited to cleaning equipment, re-stocking supplies, and removing/storing supplies in a controlled area. Works mobiles as assigned and participates in pre-draw setup and post draw packing of supplies and equipment and cleanup of controlled supplies upon return to the Center.
- Performs a variety of miscellaneous duties including, but not limited to, recruiting and scheduling of automated donor appointments, biohazard cleanups, dating of supplies, re-stocking, recovery room duty, posting phlebotomy and screening results, and directing donors to the canteen.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility competently. The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum levels of knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Combined education and experience, which leads to basic knowledge of medical terminolog:y are required.
- 2+ years in the healthcare field working with patients
- Ability to project a positive image of the Blood Bank of Delmarva required.
- Ability to read and interpret basic medical, technical, first aid, and QC procedures: are required.
- Must be able to accurately enter data into the BBD computer system and prepare basic reports is required.
- Must be able to give positive and negative messages to donors in ways that they can be understood and accepted.
- Must be able to interpret and apply oral and written instructions.
- Must be able to use simple arithmetic, sensitively handle people who are under stress is required, and be able to provide highest quality service to all customers.
A working knowledge of phlebotomy techniques and equipment and first aid procedures is preferred.
Certifications, Licenses and Registrations:
This job operates in a professional healthcare environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, and reach with the hands and arms. The employee must regularly bend, twist, stoop and squat. The hands are regularly used to handle, write or type, and finger or feel small controls, needles, and objects used in the screening and collection of blood donors. The employee frequently must talk, listen or hear, and crouch or kneel. The employee must regularly pick up and move weights of up to 25 pounds. Occasionally, weights of up to 50 pounds are picked up and moved in this position.
AAP/EEO Statement :
BBD is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and employees and applicants are treated without regard to their race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, genetics, or status as an individual with a disability or protected veteran.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities,and activities may change at any time with or without notice.