Job Summary/Basic Function Specialists are experts in a field of specialized knowledge or skills who provide opportunities to increase the exchange of ideas with American counterparts.
- Be experts in a field of specialized knowledge or skill;
- Seek to travel to the United States for the purpose of the interchange of knowledge and skills among foreign and American specialists by observing, consulting or demonstrating their special knowledge or skills; and
- Not fill a permanent or long-term position of employment while in the United States.
Participants experience an interchange of knowledge and skills among foreign and American specialists who are defined as experts in a field of specialized knowledge.
1. Recruitment of Staff
a. Visit colleges, universities, and other organizations to present program and staff opportunities at Concordia Language Villages
b. Work with dean/program leader and other specialists to assure that every program is adequately staffed
c. Assist in coordinating staff transportation
2. Supervision of staff
a. Assist in staff training
b. Assist in guiding counselors in various aspects of the program
e. Coordinate directed activities
3. Program Development, implementation and coordination
a. Assist in developing the program themes related to program curricula
b. Assist in pre-program preparation
c. Assist in preparing program-related resources for teachers and group leaders
d. Administer participant surveys and gather feedback. Fine tune the program based on input from others to ensure continuous improvement.
e. Suggest materials to support the theme and related curriculum
f. Lead activities in line with the mission of Concordia Language Villages
g. Supervise the Village store and/or bank
h. Lead parts of the program as assigned by program leader/ dean
5. Program Coordination
a. Assist in communicating with set-up and custodial staff before/during/after programs and rentals as instructed
b. Assist in interface with kitchen coordinator for all food service needs/concerns as instructed
c. Assist in work with retail management to assure efficient operation of the Village store for each program
d. Assist in coordination with Health and Risk Management to assure adherence to American Camping Association standards
e. Notify caretaker and facilities departments of any maintenance issues in a timely manner and through the appropriate channels
6. Outreach to the community
a. Play an active role in CLV’s recruitment and retention efforts through teaching language and culture to school children in the regions, presenting to various groups and organizations and/or participating in service organization endeavors
b. Contribute to other programs, such as Teacher Workshops, etc.
c. Prepare and present cultural presentations for other organizations, as needed
7. Other duties as assigned
General Responsibilities of All Positions
- Be familiar with & abide by specific policies set forth in CLV “Personnel Policies”
- Read & become familiar with responsibilities for specific area of assignment
- Read Staff Handbook & other materials information carefully & thoroughly before arriving
- Be advised the entire staff of each Village is under direction of & is responsible to the dean. While some positions are supervised by other staff, the dean retains ultimate authority & responsibility for Village
- All positions involve teaching language culture
- Report to orientation prior to first session as designated
- Assist with setting up Village, preparing for next session, & maintaining Village throughout session
- Speak target language with villagers & staff members as much as possible
- Live in community living arrangements, assigned according to gender. Nearly all positions include living, sleeping and sharing communal bathroom facilities in a unit with villagers (participants); positions that do not include living with villagers do include living with other staff members
- Be prepared to use communal showers and bathrooms, assigned according to gender
- Work outdoors for a significant part of each day
- Be able to appropriately interact with parent and teacher chaperones and participants of the program
- Model standards for behavior & be sensitive to health & welfare of villagers
- Remain one day after final session for cleanup, inventory & evaluation of program
- Effective verbal and written communication in French
- Effective verbal and written communication in English
- Previous Concordia Language Villages leadership experience
- Previous curriculum development experience preferred
- Completion of post-secondary education required/undergraduate degree equivalent
Must be able to adjust to new situation quickly, work independently with limited direct supervision while also leading a team and giving direction to others to achieve a common goal
Must be able to work with and relate positively to people from a variety of diverse backgrounds
- Strong personnel and program management skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Skills in public relations
- Language teaching experience
- Work experience with children and adults
- Skills in cultural/recreational activity areas
- Skills in working with numbers in a variety of settings
- Ability to plan several months ahead while remaining flexible to deal with last-minute changes
. . . of all positions
Emotional resiliency and cognitive abilities to carry out job responsibilities, ability to establish and maintain appropriate professional relationships, interpersonal skills to interact effectively with individuals and groups respecting social and cultural diversity and to maintain appropriate boundaries.
. . . of all positions that require living with villagers
Ability to assist villagers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, injury); possess strength, physical ability, and endurance to maintain constant supervision of villagers; observe villager behavior, assess its appropriateness and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques; possess visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the cabin group.
. . . of positions related to supervision:
Assistant Dean, Credit Curriculum Facilitator, Two-week Curriculum Facilitator, Staff Team Leader, Waterfront Manager, Head Cook. The following positions may require supervising staff: Business Manager and Nurse.
Ability to train staff; observe staff and villager behavior; see and respond to hazards; work with different age and skill levels; plan, conduct and evaluate designated activities; observe, assess, and coach the work efforts of staff being supervised; use a telephone.
- Experience working in Concordia Language Villages
- Experience teaching