The Rebuilding Exchange Evanston location is seeking a new Retail Store Manager. If you have a passion for sales, team coaching, and home diy and renovation projects, we would love to have you join our team. We sell donated home materials like lumber, doors, and kitchen cabinets, plus unique and hard to find items like vintage home decor and furniture. People shop with us to feel inspired for their next home project while helping to divert materials from landfills. We are looking for an experienced Store Manager who is excited to help our customers learn more about deconstruction and creative reuse of home materials
The nonprofit Rebuilding Exchange has stores in Evanston and Chicago, and invests in our communities by reusing building materials, reducing construction waste, and supporting workforce development. We offer engaging classes and events for the community that teach home repair, creative reuse, and woodworking skills.
The Evanston Retail Store Manager is responsible for the team development and financial performance of the store, and as such develops, manages, and executes team training, pricing and sales strategies, product procurement/inventory, merchandising and display needed for the store operations.
The Manager supervises and coaches the retail staff, as well as working closely and collaboratively with our building trades workforce training program. The ideal candidate has strong leadership, teamwork, and communications skills along with experience in both operations and retail management.
This is a full-time salaried position, typically Thursday-Monday 10am-6pm. The Retail Store Manager reports to the Director of Social Enterprise.
Provides leadership to strengthen and grow the Rebuilding Exchange
- Supervises, trains, coaches and motivates the Evanston retail store employees
- Supports the Workforce Training staff in training and coaching trainees in retail operations and sales.
- Supports the Director of Social Enterprise in the vision and growth of the reuse retail store, including sales and pricing strategies, customer service values, market development, and financial sustainability
- Leads store staff meetings, attends all staff meetings and retreats, and participates in ongoing safety updates
Grows a profitable, efficient, organized, and clean reuse retail store
- Supervises daily retail operations including problem-solving with customers and staff
- Assists customers during retail hours
- Develops policies and procedures to increase sales, improve operations and organize inventory
- Models best practice behavior of moving materials, customer service, sales, and work ethic
- Tracks and shares regular sales goals and progress with staff and trainees
- Ensures that the workplace is safe and that health and safety procedures are followed
- Ensures cleanliness and maintenance of interior and exterior of the retail store
- Works closely with marketing to leverage sales outlets and opportunities for material inventory
Acquires and manages reclaimed building materials to be reused
- Ensures donations are processed, priced, and moved to the floor in a timely manner
- Takes the lead in merchandising and staging of incoming materials to maintain a visually appealing presentation.
- Monitors inventory and ensures the store has sufficient stock of sellable goods
- Maintains relationships with individuals, contractors, and developers that are key donation contributors
- Coordinates and collaborates closely with the organization leadership and the Logistics Manager to ensure our own materials are effectively reused and recycled
- Other duties as assigned
Job Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum five years experience in retail sales, management, operations, and customer service
- Experience with and knowledge of diy home projects, home renovation, or construction.
- Skills in training, coaching, and teaching others on the job
- Excellent communications skills and ability to effectively build relationships across all levels of the organization and customer base
- Detail oriented, organized and responsive
- Proficient in use of commonly used office software and point of sale systems
- Must be able to safely list 50 pounds throughout the day, and spend the majority of the workday on your feet on the sales floor.
- Interest in our nonprofit mission and being a part of a fun and collaborative team!
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $50,000.00 - $55,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
Weekly day range:
We have been safely open with COVID-19 protocols since April 2020.
- Share coaching strategies you use to improve your team's communication and customer service skills.
- Describe the qualities that are important to you for a great retail team.
- Describe your knowledge and experience with diy, home decor, or home renovation projects.
- Customer service: 3 years (Required)
- staff supervision: 2 years (Required)
Work Location: In person