KiwiCo is an innovative eCommerce company that sparks kids’ creativity and curiosity through offline and online materials and inspiration. We offer kids a delightful, engaging way to explore, create, and learn. We offer a subscription service that delivers curated hands-on projects to kids. We take great pride and ownership in the products we build and in the community of parents and kids we serve. We’re backed by leading investors and were named one of the “20 Startups to Watch” by Business Insider. Our offices are located in Mountain View, within walking distance from the Caltrain station.
Role and Responsibilities
KiwiCo is seeking a Science Writer to take on responsibility for creating, editing, and managing instructional and educational content for our hands-on projects for kids of all ages, with a focus on STEM learning (science, technology, engineering, and math).
This is rewarding and rich position that requires someone with excellent written communication skills, a solid background in a STEM field, great instincts for making content engaging and accessible, and strong project management skills. We’re looking for someone with a strong understanding of how to bring visuals and text together to make a piece cohesive, as well as a broad operating range who can think and plan strategically and act quickly against the day-to-day execution.
- Researching the science and engineering concepts behind our projects and working with subject matter experts ensure the educational materials are complete and accurate.
- Writing articles explaining the crate concepts in a way that’s both fun and age-appropriate.
- Pitching, researching, and writing articles on related technology, engineering or history topics that provide a deeper understanding of the core concepts.
- Own the educational content for our advanced STEM projects. Ensure that content is complete and accurate, while still being engaging and accessible for our audience.
- Own deadlines and manage projects to ensure smooth, efficient creation of all editorial materials.
- Support business, marketing, and branding objectives with content that is valuable, unique, and interesting, and helps position Kiwi Crate as a thought leader in the children’s education and creativity space.
- Collaborate closely with Product Design, Photography, Graphic Design, and Marketing
- Write, test, and edit illustrated instructions. Ensure that editorial standards are followed and instructions are clear.
As a start-up celebrating creativity and development, we believe and encourage the same in our team. We seek team players with an infectious positive energy, great initiative, and a get-it-done attitude. Candidates must thrive in ambiguity and love a rapid pace. You must have a strong desire to learn and improve.
The ideal candidate has great initiative and operating range. Required skills and responsibilities:
- Experience. Bachelor’s degree with 2+ years of writing and editing experience. Excellent writing and editing skills, with a lively writing voice and a knack for presenting complex concepts in a simple and accessible way. Experience writing for children is a plus.
- Background. Education or experience in a STEM field. A passionate interest in STEM, and an eagerness to spark that interest in our our young customers. Ability to research and write about a wide range of STEM topics, from chemistry to mechanical engineering to circuit design.
- Passionate about STEM education. You love our young customers and understand how to communicate enriching educational concepts in a fun and relatable way. You’re always excited to learn something new, and you love geeking out over cool science stuff.
- Detail-oriented. Exceptional attention to detail, grammar, and logical story construction, with an eye for visual communication and illustration.
- Communication. Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to collaborate across various departments.
- Organization. This is a fast-paced, deadline-driven role, which requires collaborating with the entire product design team, so great organizational skills are a must.
- Hands-on, “get things done” mentality. Self-starter with the ability to prioritize in a fast paced environment and meet changing deadlines and priorities on multiple simultaneous projects. Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines while still paying attention to details and executing flawlessly. Strong project management skills.
- Resourceful and Flexible. You see a project from idea stage through successful completion and do whatever it takes to make it a success. You are comfortable with the rapid pace of change in a small, nimble team. You are an innovative thinker and can solve problems creatively.
- Collaborative. Ability to influence cross-functional teams in a matrixed organization, as well as confidently make presentations to senior management. Able to give and receive feedback well.
- Broad operating range. Have the ability to think strategically and create processes and organizational efficiencies, while also having a love of detail and editorial finesse. Thrives in a fast-paced, small company environment.
- B.S in Engineering or Science field.
- Experience in education, formal or informal.
- HTML and other basic web skills.
- Photography and video production experience.
- Experience with a startup or with a product team.
If you’re passionate about delivering innovative, delightful, and enriching products and experiences for kids, we’d love to hear from you. Please apply by submitting a resume and cover letter telling us why you're interested in KiwiCo and what you think you'd bring to this specific position and our team.
KiwiCo is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Individuals seeking employment at KiwiCo are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected category.