Under general supervision, performs a wide variety of administrative and office support duties for an assigned department and/or program, requiring full knowledge of its policies, procedures, and operational details; provides administrative support to management and departmental staff; composes and prepares correspondence and performs data entry duties; provides information to the public and staff; provides assistance for a wide variety of assignments related to administration of departmental projects and programs; and performs related work as required.
SUPERVISON RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from assigned supervisory or managerial staff. Exercises no supervision of staff.
This is the journey-level class in the office support and administrative assistant series. Incumbents at this level are capable of performing varied administrative and office support duties, including providing assistance to the public and staff regarding department-related projects and programs. Day-to-day responsibilities may differ, depending upon the department/division/program to which assigned. However, the overall complexity of the work is comparable. Positions at this level receive only occasional instruction or assistance as new or unusual situations arise and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the work unit. This class is distinguished from the Senior Administrative Assistant in that the latter provides complex administrative support to an assigned department head and/or management staff, oversees the workflow of the office, and serves as custodian of records for assigned boards, commissions, or committees.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Management reserves the right to add, modify, change, or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
- Performs a wide variety of routine to complex administrative and clerical duties to support departmental, divisional, or programmatic operations, including filing, preparing records and monthly reports, data entry, and ordering and maintaining office and related supplies.
- Screens calls, visitors, and mail; assists in interpreting and applying regulations, policies, procedures, systems, and rules in response to complaints and requests for information from the public; directs callers to appropriate District staff; assists and/or directs the public to appropriate locations/staff; represents the District to all callers and visitors in a professional and customer friendly manner.
- Organizes and carries out administrative assignments; researches, compiles, and organizes data and information from various sources on a variety of specialized topics related to assigned programs.
- Gathers, assembles, updates, and distributes a variety of department specific information, forms, records, and data as requested; prepares and maintains a variety of databases and reports.
- Organizes and maintains various administrative, reference, imaging, and follow-up files in accordance with the records retention policy.
- Checks and tabulates standard mathematical or statistical data; may summarize such information and prepare periodic reports.
- Verifies and reviews forms and reports for completeness and conformance with established regulations and procedures; applies departmental and program policies and procedures in determining completeness of applications, records, and files.
- Types, originates, formats, proofreads, and distributes a wide variety of reports, correspondence, and memoranda, including documents associated with departmental projects; types from rough drafts
and/or verbal instructions; checks drafts for punctuation, spelling, and grammar; makes or suggests corrections to drafts.
- Maintains calendars of activities, meetings, and various events; arranges meetings and makes appointments.
- Receives, codes, logs, schedules, and distributes service requests, work orders, facility or room
reservations, and class registrations.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Prepares and maintains various confidential department and/or student files and records; monitors and tracks attendance and usage of assigned functional area and prepares reports for management.
- Receives, opens, time stamps, sorts, and distributes incoming and interdepartmental mail; prepares and distributes outgoing mail.
- Makes copies; collates materials; files copies of letters, memoranda, reports, and other materials in department and/or central files.
- Coordinates travel arrangements and accommodations for personnel; submits all related paperwork.
- Coordinates special projects as assigned.
- Operates standard office equipment, including job-related computer hardware and software applications, facsimile equipment, and multi-line telephones; may operate other assignment-specific equipment; may perform basic maintenance and troubleshooting on assigned equipment.
- Maintains accurate records of work performed.
- May participate and assist in the administration of the assigned office; may organize and coordinate activities associated with the office; may recommend organizational or procedural changes affecting support activities.
- May coordinate community outreach and event details, under the direction of assigned management staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth (12th) grade and three (3) years of responsible administrative support experience involving a high level of public contact and customer service. Additional college- level coursework and/or technical training in office administrative support is highly desirable.
To ensure full consideration, qualified candidates must submit:
Ø Compton Community College District Classified Application Online
Ø Upload the following documents:
o Cover Letter (Letter of introduction highlighting your education and experience.)
o Copies of pertinent transcript(s). Multiple page transcripts must be uploaded as ONE pdf document. (optional)
(Foreign Transcripts: Transcripts issued outside the United States of America require a course-by-
course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. For information on transcript evaluation services, please visit: http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl635.pdf)
*Please Note: Documents uploaded for a previous position cannot be reused for other positions. You must submit the required documents for each position you apply for by the closing date. Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application. Applications with an incomplete status will not receive consideration. You may check the status of your application online.
ALL APPLICATIONS MATERIALS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE AT: www.district.compton.edu/administration/human-resources
To be included in the initial screening, application materials must be received no later than 3:00 p.m. on the closing date.