Public Affairs Manager
Downtown Long Beach
Job Code 3318
Job Grade Range A
Department PUBLIC AFFAIRS
Chancellor's Office Statement
Join our team at the California State University, Office of the Chancellor, and make a difference in providing access to higher education. We are currently seeking experienced candidates for the position of Public Affairs Manager. The CSU Chancellor's Office, located on the waterfront adjacent to the Aquarium of the Pacific in downtown Long Beach, is the headquarters for the nation's largest and most diverse system of higher education. The CSU Chancellor's Office offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, and dental plans; a fee waiver education program; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (PERS); and 14 paid holidays a year.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The California State University, Office of the Chancellor, is seeking a Public Affairs Manager to be responsible for leading efforts to advance the reputation of the university through effective use of external communications channels and proactive and reactive media relations.
Under the general direction of the Director of Public Affairs, the Public Affairs Manager will:
- Hire and supervise the Digital Communications Specialist.
- Assist with the development (content creation or review) of printed collateral other media relations tools.
- Act as a backup spokesperson to the Director of Public Affairs on media relations matters.
- Promote/pitch stories to media representatives and responds to media inquiries relating to the CSUCO and campuses.
- Write opinion pieces, press releases and features or other content for the CSU NewsCenter.
- Assist with the compilation of the News of the CSU daily clips.
- Support the department strategic communications plan at the direction of the Director and/or Senior Director of Public Affairs.
- Manage all student media inquiries.
- Work with the Public Affairs Coordinator to ensure that media distribution lists are updated and relevant.
- Develop relationships with CSU administrators, staff and faculty to prepare responses to media inquiries.
- Develop relations with reporters and editors.
- Other duties as assigned including photography, script writing or general public relations-related activities.
This position requires:
- A bachelor's degree in public relations, communications, journalism, English or related field or equivalent combination of education and related experience is required.
- Five years of related professional experience or experience in public relations is required.
- Sound judgement.
- Excellent written, proofreading and editing skills under deadline pressure.
- Ability to manage crises.
- Critical thinking skills to properly use all appropriate PR channels.
- Organizational and planning skills.
- Interpersonal communications skills and professional demeanor. Ability to work in a collegial manner with other professionals.
- Ability to work independently under general supervision with specialized or varied communication assignments related to public affairs, media relations, etc.
- Commitment to the highest ethical standards.
- Understanding and sensitivity to the unique academic mission of the CSU system.
Master's degree in a related field, preferred.
Resumes will be accepted until June 24, 2019 or until job posting is removed.
How To Apply
To apply for this posting:
Click 'Apply Now' at the bottom of the screen
Login or Register (Create Username and Password)
Select to apply with resume
Upload one file containing resume. If you would like to include a cover letter, please include it with the resume in one document.
Provide contact information and verify application information.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The university is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager.
This position requires new hire employment verification to be processed through the E-Verify program administered by the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (DHSUSCIS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA).
If hired, you will be required to furnish proof that you are legally authorized to work in the United States
Mandated Reporter Per CANRA
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Conflict of Interest
The duties of this position will include participation in decisions that may have a material financial benefit to the incumbent. Therefore, the selected candidate will be required to file Conflict of Interest Form 700: Statement of Economic Interest when they first occupy the position, and on an annual basis, complete ethics training within 6 months of appointment, and attend this training every other year thereafter.
The Chancellor's Office policy requires that the selected candidate successfully complete a full background check (including a criminal records check) prior to assuming this position.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency