Identifies and treats patients with speech, language, voice, fluency and swallowing disorders. Improves patient’s communication skills through vocal exercises and cognitive therapies. May select alternative communication systems and teach their use. Evaluates and treats swallowing disorders.
1. Optimizes communication, cognitive and swallowing skills of patients by performing the following tasks: screening, initiating referrals; evaluating and treating appropriate patients; effectively participating in the care planning process; appropriately documenting progress toward identified objectives and communicating patient status and needs to the patient, the patient’s family, the staff and other professionals as appropriate.
2. Establishes individual patient plan of care to optimally address patient-specific goals and to comply with service delivery parameters in accordance with the Resident Assessment Instrument (RAI)
Manual, Managed Care Contract or other guidelines specific to long term care.
3. Develops treatment plans by identifying a problem list, including long and short-term goals and methods to achieve identified goals. Confers formally and informally with the physician and other team members in coordinating the total rehabilitation program of the patient.
4. Coordinates treatment plan with patient, family and other team members. Implements and conducts treatment as outlined in the treatment plan. Monitors patient’s response to intervention and modifies treatment as indicated to attain goals in accordance with physician’s orders. Adapts treatment to meet the individual needs of the patient.
5. Accesses the patient’s record and records results of screenings, physician orders, discharge summaries and other information as required in the Community’s electronic medical record system. Documents results of patient’s assessment, treatment, follow-up and termination of services following standards established by The Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), Medicare Administrative
Contractor Local Coverage Determinations (MAC LCD) and Brookdale, utilizing electronic medical record software as specified by Brookdale
6. Recommends and obtains appropriate equipment to improve patient’s communication. Instructs patient, family and staff in use of augmentative communication devices.
7. Instructs patient, family and staff in appropriate speech language procedures or home program to allow carryover of therapeutic remediation and goals in daily activities.
8. Reviews the quality and appropriateness of the total services delivered and of individual speech language pathology programs for effectiveness and efficiency, using predetermined criteria.
9. Reviews the quality and appropriateness of the total services delivered and of individual speech language pathology programs for effectiveness and efficiency, using predetermined criteria. Submits billing, payroll and expense documentation in an accurate and timely manner meeting all regulatory guidelines. Assists in the collection of statistics as directed.
10. Adheres to Brookdale policies and procedures. Complies with all Infection Control, Universal
Precautions, and OSHA standards for the healthcare professional. Assists with and participates in
Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement Programs as required. Adheres to established confidentiality standards as required by Brookdale concerning patient information.
This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position. It is not intended to represent a comprehensive list of responsibilities. An associate should perform all duties as assigned by his/ her supervisor.
Education and Experience
Master’s Degree in Speech Language Pathology from an accredited program required. Previous speech language pathology experience preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certifications, Licenses, and other Special Requirements
License to practice speech language pathology within the state. Certificate of Clinical Competency or eligibility for Clinical Fellowship Year.
Job Type: Contract
Salary: $35.00 to $43.00 /hour
- Skilled nursing/Assisted living/Long term care