A specialty chemicals global major producer, with 3 business segments - High Performance Materials, Industrial Specialities, and Coating Solutions - and globally recognized brands. Arkema operates in close to 50 countries worldwide.
The Beaumont Plant is located in Southeast Texas about 30 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico and is about one hour drive east of Houston. Our facility is responsible for the production of methyl mercaptan, ethyl mercaptan, dimethyl sulfide (DMS) and methylmercaptoproprionaldehyde (MMP).
The Chemist will report directly to the Lab Supervisor. Collaborate on a daily basis with a peer Chemist as well as 4 other lab technicians.
Responsibilities for the Chemist role include, but not limited to the following:
- Program and maintain software application specific to instruments & data application by being a software administrator (LIMS & Compass CDS).
- Develop and maintain SQC charts, spreadsheets, and analytical results and provide to internal and external customers if needed.
- Ensure analyses used to generate data are precise and accurate using in-house methodology and determine acceptable variability factors for analyses.
- Confirm that shipments released are on-spec.
- Effectively maintain and establish improved methodologies for wet chemistry, GC, IC, and TOC.
- Calibrate, troubleshoot, and repair instrumentation.
- Review, revise, and develop standard lab procedures for analyses and instrument calibrations.
- Ensure adequate equipment/supplies are maintained to assure smooth operation of laboratory.
- Assume responsibilities of QC Supervisor in his/her absence and assume responsibilities of Lab Technicians as needed/requested.
- Other laboratory and quality related activities.
- This position requires a Bachelor of Science degree, Chemistry degree preferred.
- 3-5 years experience in a laboratory setting. Gas chromatography experience required.
- Excellent communication skills, interpersonal skills, and advanced computer networking and software skills.
- Leadership, proactivity and initiative.
- Commitment to safety and compliance with lab procedures/guidelines.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment with varying priorities.
- Ability to develop unique metholodogies using sound chemistry/analytical knowledge, acceptable laboratory techniques & utilizing ASTM methodologies when applicable.
- Excellent orgranizational skills with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to convey analytical data at all levels of the organization to include internal and external customers for crucial business decisions.