United States Postal Service
External Publication for Job Posting 10203382
If this job requires qualification on an examination, the number of applicants who will be invited to take or retake the
examination may be limited.
Job Posting Period
06/14/2018 - 07/14/2018
GOVERNMENT INFORMATION ASSISTANT
475 L'ENFANT PLAZA SW
WASHINGTON, DC 20260-1101
TITLE: GOVERNMENT INFORMATION ASSISTANT
GRADE: EAS - 19
FLSA DESIGNATION: Non-Exempt
OCCUPATION CODE: 0306-0002
NON-SCHEDULED DAYS: Saturday/Sunday
HOURS: 08:00 A.M. to 05:00 P.M.
SALARY RANGE: 55,221.00 - 70,795.00 USD Annually
FINANCE NUMBER: 102645
BENEFIT INFORMATION: The salary will be based on previous experience and current postal pay policies. We offer
excellent benefits including health and life insurance, retirement plan, savings/investment plan with employer contribution,
flexible spending, flextime scheduling of core work hours, annual and sick leave.
Reviews, responds, and maintains records requests for compliance with federal statutes and Postal Service regulations
including, but not limited to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and the Privacy Act of 1974 (PA).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Reviews and analyzes requests for information under the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act/Privacy Act
(FOIA/PA). Coordinates with mentor to makes initial recommendations to manager on the release or denial of information.
2. Prepares and coordinates simple and routine correspondence for initial FOIA requests, appeals, and final response
3. Reviews FOIA and Privacy Act appeals to determine the basis of the appeal and prepares routine cases for review,
including writing synopsis of issues, and processes requests.
4. Provides guidance to internal and external customers to clarify and resolve simple requests and provide status updates.
5. Reviews updated developments in the field of information disclosure in order to increase knowledge and gain proficiency;
including recent court and agency decisions, current legislative resolutions or problems encountered within the FOIA
6. Performs administrative duties in support of the FOIA program, including but not limited to coordinating meetings,
preparing agenda items, preparing the daily attendance log, and coordinating the purchase of supplies and services.
7. Monitors and tracks the processing and receipt of requests; maintains and updates records and files housed in an
automated tracking system.
Manager of unit to which assigned.
The United States Postal Service has the following excellent and challenging employment opportunity for highly motivated
and innovative individuals. Successful candidates must demonstrate through a combination of education, training, and
experience the following requirements:
1. Knowledge of pertinent laws, regulations, and policy related to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), the Privacy Act, and
the confidential treatment of Federal records.
2. Ability to communicate orally and in writing sufficient to advise managers, assist customers, and collaborate with other
3. Ability to review simple requests, interpret and apply policies, laws, regulations, and procedures; and to make
recommendations regarding the appropriate release of information.
4. Ability to use an automated tracking system.
Reimbursement of relocation expenses will NOT be authorized.
Qualified applicants must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screening to meet the U.S. Postal Service's requirement
to be drug free. Applicants must also be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident alien status.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m., Central Time, of the posting's closing date. Applicants claiming veterans'
preference must attach a copy of member copy 4 (only) of Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form
214) or other proof of eligibility if claiming 10-point veterans' preference. The United States Postal Service (USPS) is an
equal opportunity employer. The USPS provides reasonable accommodation for any part of the application, interview, and/or
selection process, please make your request to the examiner, selecting official or local manager of Human Resources. This
request can also be made by someone on your behalf. Explain the nature of your limitations and the accommodation
needed. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
SPECIAL NOTE: Current career Postal Service employees are ineligible to apply to this posting.