We are only accepting local applicants in Northern Virginia.
15:00-23:30 shift or 23:00-07:30 shift available.
Data Center Technician II - Reston, VA
The Data Center Technician II assists in the operational integrity, security, and regulatory compliance of the data center. The technician is to have a basic knowledge of the fundamentals of telecommunications and data center operating procedures. He or she will acquire job skills and learn company policies and procedures in order to complete routine operations tasks and assignments.
A Tier 2 technician will be responsible for day to day operations of the data center including security functions, telecommunication standards and installations, customer build outs, general site response and triage, and customer interaction. Technicians must ensure that data center problems are identified and repaired quickly, that contractors deliver quality services, and that internal customer demands are met.
A Tier 2 technician requires the following skills:
Security operations, first responder, fire watch, safety, trouble shooting, causality response, basic telecom best practices, data center architecture, copper and fiber installation, transmission methods and media, electrical theory, and customer service.
A Tier 2 technician will gain working knowledge of the general data center mechanical, electrical, telecom, and security equipment.
Responsibilities will include customer infrastructure build-outs (cage builds, overhead installations, rack and stack), cable termination and testing, maintenance work, monitoring and responding to mechanical, electrical, fire protection, telecom, and security systems. These systems include, transformers, PLC’s, generators, switchgear, UPS systems, STS’, ATS’ PDU’s, chilled water systems, CRAC/CRAH, wet sprinkler systems and pre-action sprinkler, network equipment, transmission media, cabling infrastructure, security hardware, and CCTV.
- Manage building service requests through resolution.
- Perform and complete work orders and customer service tickets in a timely manner Trouble Ticket Management
- Remote Hands Management
- Work Order Completion Process
- Mine cables without disrupting services to any other existing data cabling on facility ladder rack or fiber trough
- Infrastructure projects (Internal/Customer)
o Cage and Cabinet Build-Outs
o Overhead Installations
o Rack and Stack
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Navigate and utilize a CMMS system
- Use developed procedures to solve problems
- Assist in asset and consumable inventory management
- Responsible for the tracking and proper labeling of all equipment per established procedures
- Ensure processes are completed in a timely manner pertaining to Service Level Agreements (SLA) and data is uploaded to internal systems accordingly
- Monitor, and respond to abnormal conditions in facilities systems. Areas include: Mechanical, Electrical, Building Monitoring, Security, and Control systems
- Follow direction of data center technicians in regards to day-to-day activities
- Provide physical security within the CoreSite premises
- Incident escalation and report writing
- Provide day-to-day exceptional customer service and support
- Maintain and complete regular facility and security tours documenting and responding to found issues
- Responsible for notifying customers, management and facility teams of security system alarms and security breaches
- Responsible for managing the loading dock shipping and receiving
- Assists with managing systems to avoid unplanned customer-impacting outages
- Adhere to and promote CoreSite’s Principles of Operational Excellence
- Basic knowledge of fundamentals and best practices of cabling media types
- Basic understanding of 568A and 568B color codes and applications
- Familiar with CCTV and access and control security systems
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers and internal staff
- Good troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Ability to learn quickly and address issues as they arise in a Mission Critical 24x7 environment
- Able to write concise and accurate reports
- Ability to work independently, but as part of a team concept
- Schedule flexibility with ability to work non-standard business hours
- Exhibits a strong work ethic and accountability
- Successfully meet CoreSite professional standards
- Be able to follow all escalation procedures in regard to critical or emergency situations
- Ability to operate in and promote a rigorous process-driven team environment
- Ability to logically analyze and solve problems
- Ability to effectively multi-task multiple projects
- Operate Hand and Machine Tools (hammer, drill, saw, etc.)
- Operate electrical tools such as a multi-meter or infrared camera
- Familiar with computer systems and software programs - i.e., MS Word, Excel, MS Outlook
- A Tier II technician will gain an on-the-job understanding of the mechanical, electrical, fire life safety, and security systems used in a data center environment including, but not limited to the following: electrical distribution and layout, transformers, PLC’s, generators, switchgear, UPS systems, STS’, ATS’ PDU’s, chilled water systems, CRAC/CRAH’s, pre-action sprinkler systems, security hardware, CCTV, monitoring, and CMMS systems
- High School Diploma or greater
- 2+ years of experience in either facilities or telecom industry
- Experience as an installer in a mission critical facility is a plus
- Be able to pass an extensive background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications, and Department of Motor Vehicle and credit check.
Physical Demands and special requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to stand 1/3 – 2/3 of the time
- Ability to walk 1/3 – 2/3 of the time
- Ability to sit 1/3 – 2/3 of the time
- Ability to climb and balance 1/3 – 2/3 of the time
- Ability to stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl 1/3 – 2/3 of the time
- Ability to reach with hands & arms 1/3 – 2/3 of the time
- Ability to smell, talk & hear
- Ability to use hands to type, handle & feel
- Ability to reach with hands and arms
- Ability to see at close and distance ranges and the ability to see color
- Must be comfortable working in a high stress, fast paced environment with shifting priorities
- Must be willing to work outside normal business hours, including weekends, late nights, holidays, and on-call support
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds 1/3 of the time
Relocation assistance will not be provided for this job. If you are interested in a role like this, but currently do not live in the defined location, we encourage you to view our other open positions.
CoreSite is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, genetic information, disability, veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law are not taken into account in any employment decisions.CoreSite completes a variety of background check assessments (including inquiries of criminal history and drug tests) in accordance with all federal, state and local laws. Candidates are considered consistent with the requirements of the FCIHO and other applicable regulations. If you require assistance or an accommodation to successfully complete an application with CoreSite, please notify us.
Thank you for your interest in CoreSite.