The NYC Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) enriches the environment and protects public health for all New Yorkers by providing 1.1 billion gallons of high quality drinking water, managing wastewater and stormwater, and reducing air, noise, and hazardous materials pollution. DEP is the largest combined municipal water and wastewater utility in the country, with nearly 6,000 employees. DEP's water supply system is comprised of 19 reservoirs and 3 controlled lakes throughout the system’s 2,000 square mile watershed that extends 125 miles north and west of the City.
The Bureau of Water Supply seeks to hire an Associate Staff Analyst for a position with Watershed Water Quality Operations located in Kingston, New York. The Watershed Water Quality Operations (WWQO) unit is responsible for ensuring all Filtration Avoidance Determination water quality monitoring mandates are met. WWQO laboratories are certified under the Environmental Laboratory Approval Program (ELAP). The Associate Staff Analyst will be instrumental in ensuring that the resources needed for meeting our regulatory obligations are obtained.
The Associate Staff Analyst, under direction of the Deputy Chief of Watershed Water Quality Systems Support, will serve as Procurement and Administrative Supervisor and will oversee a $1.4 million budget, assisting with the preparation and tracking of the Division’s Spend Plan and will prepare reports to keep Divisional managers informed on spending status. Specific duties include:
- Supervising subordinate staff at multiple locations providing procurement support for 3 water quality laboratories and about 140 laboratory and field scientists.
- Ensuring the implementation of procurement policy as prescribed by the Bureau and ensuring the internal consistency of all procurement documents.
- Acting as a liaison with the Bureau, coordinating workflow with the Bureau and working to resolve any budget and/or purchasing issues.
- Being responsible for oversight of some personnel administrative functions including the preparation and tracking of staff job actions and travel packages.
- Adhering to Agency & Bureau Policies and Procedures.
- Promoting a workplace free from safety hazards.
- Demonstrating knowledge of and support for EEO standards and procedures.
(This is a brief description of what you might do in this position and does not include all the duties of this position.)
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A master’s degree from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) in economics, finance, accounting, business or public administration, human resources management, management science, operations research, organizational behavior, industrial psychology, statistics, personnel administration, labor relations, psychology, sociology, human resources development, political science, urban studies or a closely related field, and one year of satisfactory full-time professional experience in one or a combination of the following: working with the budget of a large public or private concern in budget administration, accounting, economic or financial administration, or fiscal or economic research; or in management or methods analysis, operations research, organizational research or program evaluation; or in personnel or public administration, recruitment, position classification, personnel relations, labor relations, employee
benefits, staff development, employment program planning/administration, labor market research, economic planning, social services program planning/evaluation, or fiscal management; or in a related area; or
2. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and three years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in the areas described in “1" above.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Ability to manage budgets and spend plans using spreadsheets.
- Experience with and knowledge of DEP procurement procedures and policies.
- Experience with Microsoft CRM.
- Strong leadership and problem solving abilities.
- Initiative and drive to succeed with new and challenging tasks.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, including experience with developing and maintaining budgets and schedules.
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and tasks under strict deadlines.
- Ability to function independently with minimal management oversight.
- Accounting and mathematics skills.
- Communication skills; written and oral.
- Time management.
- Committed to honesty, integrity, and best practices.
DEP is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to the diversity of our organization and workforce. Your voluntary response to the NYCAPS on-line application section for referral information will assist us tremendously in our ability to track the success or our outreach and recruitment efforts. Please be sure to indicate your source of referral to this job.
Kingston is a City in Ulster County, New York approximately 90 miles north of New York City.
Click the ‘Apply Now’ button.
35 Hours per week / Day shift.
71 Smith Avenue
Kingston, NY 12401
New York City residency is not required for this position.