Shady Grove Medical Center
The Chaplain Resident program provides an opportunity for education, training and service in pastoral care within the Spiritual Care and Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) Departments. The Chaplain Resident is a student in the Adventist HealthCare accredited CPE program under the supervision of CPE Supervisors and reports to the Director of CPE.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Engages in the following duties under supervision of CPE Supervisors and the Director of CPE.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Conduct visits and provide spiritual support and prayer to patients and families in various situations; providing comfort and a calming presence as needed; serve as a referral source for resources outside of hospital (i.e. clergy and/or counseling agencies); facilitate communication with personal clergy or faith community.
- Serve as a member of the clinical team, participate in clinical rounds and interdisciplinary team meetings; communicate, cooperate and collaborate with clinical staff; respond to urgent situations; provide presence and support in the event of a death.
- Conduct spiritual care assessments to identify spiritual needs and concerns of patients and their families and develop care plan to meet those needs.
- Provide spiritual support to staff as needed; serve as a resource for additional spiritual or counseling support; work with staff to enhance their sensitivity to the spiritual concerns of patients/families experiencing terminal illness and loss.
- Conduct religious services (worships, weddings, memorial services, funerals and communion) and celebrations for all faith traditions.
- Participate in special programs for patients and staff.
- Assumes personal accountability to support Adventist HealthCare mission, vision and values; participates in and engages with the Baldridge framework.
- Understanding of and respect for faith traditions other than one's own; comfortable in diverse environments and demonstrated strong sensitivity to individuals' spiritual needs adapting to social, ethnic, economic, gender and age differences.
- Ability to remain calm in urgent or crisis situations.
- Ability to function in a fast paced environment.
- Must be able to read, speak, and hear. Must be able to effectively communicate in English both orally and in writing.
- Strong computer knowledge and proficiency in Windows Office applications is essential.
- Spiritual maturity: to model a deepening relationship with God through prayer, study of Scripture, and worship; have a mission mind-set; model Biblical principles in words and actions.
- Accountability: to model life-long learning through reading, attending seminars/workshops or conferences; participation in departmental retreat and AHC leadership development events; engage in performance evaluations and personal improvement initiatives.
- Excellence: demonstrate high quality professionalism in words, actions and appearance; alignment with the mission, vision and values of Adventist HealthCare.
- Masters level degree with theological training (i.e. MDiv; MA Religion or Theology or equivalent). Will accept candidates currently in a Masters level program with defined completion date.
- Trained through accredited clinical pastoral education (CPE). Must complete a minimum of 1 unit of CPE training.
- Ordained/Commissioned ministerial credentials preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years pastoral ministry or ministry in a healthcare setting, with demonstrated effectiveness. A combination of experience and education may be considered.
Separate Chaplain Residency contract needs to be signed
Description of Working Conditions:
- Office setting within a clinical environment.
- Culturally diverse work environment.
- Fast paced with multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Can involve stressful and emotionally charged situation in the clinical setting.
Tobacco use is a well-recognized preventable cause of death in the United States and an important public health issue. In order to promote and maintain a healthy work environment, Adventist HealthCare will not hire applicants for employment who either state that they are nicotine users or who test positive for nicotine use.
Adventist HealthCare will withdraw offers of employment to applicants who test positive for Cotinine (nicotine). Those testing positive for cotinine are given the opportunity to re-apply in 90 days, if they can truthfully attest that they have not used any nicotine products in the past ninety (90) days and successfully pass follow-up testing.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Adventist HealthCare is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.