CHEMOTHERAPY PHARMACY TECHNICIANS
New York Cancer Specialists
New York Cancer and Blood Specialists, a prominent and respected Oncology/Hematology group, is seeking Chemotherapy Pharmacy Technicians to join a well-established and growing pure sub-specialty practice with academic affiliation. Practice manages a freestanding outpatient Cancer Center with extensive chemotherapy administration, Radiation Oncology, Pharmacy and Research department.
In this role, you will:
- Review prescriptions to assure accuracy, to ascertain the needed ingredients and to evaluate their suitability.
- Aseptic compounding of medication preparations, chemotherapy and biotherapy using proper aseptic technique under Chemotherapy Hoods.
- Assess the identity, strength or purity of medications.
- Verify patient information and proper physician’s authorization.
- Properly handle and dispose of hazardous drugs and waste materials following OSHA and NIOSH guidelines.
- Perform mathematical calculations to determine appropriate drug measurements for compounding of ordered medications.
- Admixes drugs as ordered by physician in an accurate and timely manner as per department guidelines and preparing all drugs within USP 797/800 guidelines and interoffice guidelines.
- Calculate correct dosage volumes, converting between metric and apothecary equivalents.
- Assist in keeping accurate temperature logs, accurate logs on all non-hazardous and hazardous drugs.
- Maintain proper control documentation of medications including lot numbers.
- Provide support with inventory control of medications.
- Assist with required cleaning and maintenance of the hood and surrounding areas
- Properly disposes all materials used when mixing chemo or non-chemo IVs.
- Enter and remove medications into and from the Nucleus System.
- Conduct routine medication inventories including monitoring for expired drugs and assist with inventory control of medications in the infusion room, storage room and satellite locations.
- Assist in ordering supplies and medication. Receive and restock medications.
- A High School Graduate/GED/ Equivalent Work
- Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) with PTCB.
- Minimum 2 years of hospital or outpatient infusion setting experience that includes IV compounding of chemo and non-chemo infusions.
- Oncology experience preferred.
- Chemo or IV compounding experience.
- 2 years of experience as a Pharmacy Technician.
- Knowledge of pharmacy terminology and calculations.
- Knowledge of hazardous drugs
- Ability to work in a self-directed work team environment and function effectively in a high-volume, multiple demand environments.
- Detail oriented, organized and dedicated to helping people.
- Proficiency in regulatory USP 797/800 guidelines
- A complete understating of calculations relating to dosage.
Reports to the Pharmacist.
Salary up to: $26 hr.
Chemotherapy Pharmacy Technicians: please email resume to our corporate office:
Robert Nicoletti, CHRO
New York Cancer and Blood Specialists
1500 Route 112
Building # 4
Port Jefferson Station, New York 1177
Visit our website at: nycancer.com and follow us on Facebook.
New York Cancer and Blood Specialists is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $26.00 /hour