Nuvance Health has a network of convenient hospital and outpatient locations — Danbury Hospital, New Milford Hospital, Norwalk Hospital and Sharon Hospital in Connecticut, and Northern Dutchess Hospital, Putnam Hospital Center and Vassar Brothers Medical Center in New York — plus multiple primary and specialty care physician practices locations, including The Heart Center, a leading provider of cardiology care, and two urgent care offices. Non-acute care is offered through various affiliates, including the Thompson House for rehabilitation and skilled nursing services, and the Home Care organizations.
The Pharmacy Technician 2 will assist pharmacists in the formulation, preparation, dispensing, delivery and storage of medications and pharmaceutical supplies. The pharmacy technician will ensure that products and services are provided in timely, safe and cost effective manner according to department policies, procedures, and practice standards. A Pharmacy Technician 2 will have additional responsibilities related to high risk IV admixture, inventory management and cost saving initiatives.
1. Maintains and complies with all state, federal and regulatory requirements for pharmacy and medication management. Performs monthly quality assurance activities. Adheres to all network wide policies and procedures including those related to attendance, customer service, Health Stream education modules, & cost containment. Participates in daily huddles and staff meetings. Responsible for the oversight and work flow of 2 areas of responsibility (to be assigned by manager). Recommends process improvement plans annually.
2. Adheres to medication distribution process workflow. Operates pharmacy dispensing technology and able to troubleshoot problem/failures and operates pharmacy systems as appropriate. Assists pharmacist in the gathering and preparing medications (per provider orders) will adhering to policies related to unit dose packaging, regulations and proper record keeping. Prepares extemporaneous compounds following established USP 795 standards and practices.
IV Admixture / USP 797 Compliance
3. Completes routine USP 797 competencies. Adheres to department standards regarding daily workflow. Prepares all IV admixtures following 797 policies and procedures. Performs USP 797 required Monthly Clean (per dept SOP).
Hazardous Drug Handling - USP 800
4. Identifies medications considered "hazardous" by the National Institute of Occupational Safety and WCHN Policy. Complies with USP 800 when handling hazardous medications. Completes annual didactic test on USP 800 proper practice and procedures. Performs hazardous medication preparation in compliance with USP 800 standards, including chemo and cross covering in cancer center. Responds and resolves proper USP 800 procedure when dealing with a chemical spill.
Automated Dispensing Cabinet / Vault
5. Operates ADC information system and follows department SOP regard daily workflow for vault technician. Accurately fills and maintains automated dispensing machines and controlled substance orders following departmental and statutory requirements. Performs required audits, proper record keeping of controlled substance dispensing and waste - assess audits being completed on regular basis. Assists/resolves all ADC discrepancy reports hospital wide. Maintains ADC drug inventory levels both in and outside of the department. Assists in preparation for state and federal inspection.
6. Identifies medication ordering needs proactively. Communicates restock needs to correct staff and maintains appropriate par levels. Places orders related to pharmacy supplies (stockroom vs drugs). Receives and restocks new inventory. Accurately receives controlled substances into pharmacy vault (with witness). Identifies and navigates potential drug shortages.
7. Fulfills all compliance responsibilities related to the position.
8. Performs other duties as assigned.
Requires a minimum formal education of High School Diploma and minimum of three years job-related experience.
License: Registered Pharmacy Technician with Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection within 30 days.
Criteria Desired: Prior pharmacy technician experience, PTCB license.
Location: Danbury-24 Hospital Ave
Work Type: Full-Time
Standard Hours: 40.00
Work Schedule: Rotating 8
Work Shift: variable
Org Unit: 134
- HS Graduate or Equivalent
- Some manual skills / motor coord & finger dexterity
- Some occupational risk
- Medium to Heavy effort. May exert up to 35 lbs. force
- Generally pleasant working conditions.
EOE, including disability/vets.
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact Human Resources at 203-739-7330 (for reasonable accommodation requests only). Please provide all information requested to assure that you are considered for current or future opportunities.
Job Type: Full-time