Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE:
GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Clarion-Ledger, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is searching for a digital-savvy reporter to cover general assignments in a city full of important news.
This beat focuses primarily on general assignment and daily stories with responsibility for real-time digital reporting that is competitive and insightful. In addition, coverage will include broader trend stories on government and its effects on the community.
This is a great job for a high-energy individual with a nose for news who can generate accurate, clean copy and provide insightful stories for digital audiences.
- Report quickly, clearly and accurately and deliver news, via stories, video, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or other methods.
- Use metrics to inform story choices and shape beat strategies.
- Identify top news stories of the day, based on analytics and audience potential.
- Cultivate a beat, knowing the ins/outs of how government works and its key players. Have a genuine interest in people and ability to build trust.
- Write breaking news stories, enterprise and trending stories, and long-form features.
- Write and/or produce multimedia content that appeals to key audience targets and maximizes user experience on digital and social platforms.
- Provide cogent analysis of trends and issues that affect the daily lives of readers.
- Work closely with graphic, photo and video teams to produce and optimize content.
- Engage with readers through various social media platforms.
- Demonstrate strong news judgment informed by real-world experience.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism, digital media or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 1-2 years’ reporting/newsroom experience preferred. Will consider recent college graduates with that have completed meaningful internships
- Experience shooting photos and videos.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- A passion for news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfort in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsroom.
- Comfort using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories – not only to share information but also to listen for what the community is talking about.
- An understanding of journalistic ethics and sourcing rules.
- Passion for a fast-paced news environment and understanding of the digital-first mission.
- A willingness to collaborate with others.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant’s disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals’ application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.’s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.