About the Company:
Vino Volo is an innovative, high-end retail and wine bar concept backed by leaders in the wine, retail, and hospitality industries. Vino Volo's award-winning experience has been featured in USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, and dozens of other publications. With over 40 stores open in locations post-security in airports, Vino Volo is growing rapidly and expanding its team. For additional information about Vino Volo, visit www.vinovolo.com.
We are looking for a General Manager who is passionate about wine and leading a team of professionals to oversee the opening of our newest location in Greensville-Spartanburg Airport!
The General Manager is responsible for ensuring that his or her team surprises and delights Vino Volo customers through sophisticated customer service and wine expertise at the tasting bar, in the tasting lounge or in the retail section of the store. The General Manager is responsible all aspects of the operation of the store. The primary goals of the General Manager are to lead and coach his or her team to 1) impress customers with the quality of the Vino Volo experience; and 2) sell flights, glasses and retail bottles of wine to these same customers. From time to time, a General Manager may also be called upon to assist at another store.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Managing the store to deliver excellent customer serviceand maximize salesopportunities, including but not limited to:
- Deliver and coach employees to surprise and delight customers with a service level they have never-before experienced at an airport, and rarely ever encounter at stores or wine bars outside the airport.
- Engage customers in an approachable but sophisticated manner and help them to discover and fall in love with Vino Volo’s wines, making them want to buy these wines by the bottle.
- Create a relaxed, refined, and enjoyable environment for customers in spite of the stresses, noise, and crowds of the airport environment
- Listen and empathize with customers, with a focus on gently and persuasively up-selling them on bottles of wine or enrollment in Vino Volo’s loyalty program and wine club.
- Collaborate with Associates to ensure all customers are as happy as possible at all times, and all possible wine up-sale opportunities are captured.
- Responding to customer complaints and feedback when necessary
- Ensure that all alcohol beverage control regulations are followed. Prevent under-age or intoxicated persons from being served wine at any time.
- Ensuring that the store is clean and well-kept
Managing product offering and inventory, including but not limited to:
- Creating and printing daily menus, organizing “flights of the day”, and generally managing the offering to the customer in accordance with corporate standards to ensure that a quality offering is continuously available
- Ensuring that all collateral materials including but not limited to menus, wine discovery books, flight blotters, merchandise tags, point-of-purchase advertising materials and menus are up-to-date, attractively displayed and accurate
- Ordering, receiving and stocking necessary inventory for sale
- Managing the relationship and negotiating prices with local vendors where necessary
- Ensuring successful implementation of new products, policies, and corporate initiatives
- Hiring, training, and managing all store employees, including but not limited to:
- Train new Associates in Vino Volo’s approach to wine, service, and sales
- Scheduling shifts to ensure good customer service and timely opening and closing of the store while also controlling unnecessary labor expense
- Evaluating employees to ensure they meet company standards
- Handling payroll for the store including but not limited to ensuring that employee hours worked are accurately tracked, ensuring that breaks are taken, and generating reports to the payroll vendor in a timely manner
- Leading shifts when necessary
Any other dutiesto ensure the smooth and profitable operation of the store, including but not limited to:
- Ensuring that the store is in good repair, including coordinating with vendors to handle maintenance and repair if necessary
- Ensuring that the store meets all necessary laws, codes and regulations including but not limited to local health codes and alcoholic beverage control codes
- Processing invoices and other paperwork in a timely manner
- Managing the store in such a way as to deliver planned store controllable profit
- Following all directives and requests from the Landlord and the Airport Authority
Supervision Received and Exercised: Works under the general supervision of a Regional General Manager or the CEO. Responsible for supervising all store employees.
Education and Experience Requirements: A four-year college degree is preferred, and two years of college education is required. Work experience must include:
- Five or more years as a General Manager of a well-respected full-service restaurant, manager or server at a wine bar or winery tasting room, manager at a retail store, front desk manager at a hotel or equivalent position in the hospitality industry; and
- Strong foundation in wine fundamentals. Two or more years performing in some aspect of the wine industry preferred but not required. Examples include wine distribution, fine dining, wine retail or wine production.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Requirements:
- Ability to manage a team, scout for employee candidates, conduct interviews, spot talent, hire, coach and evaluate staff
- Knowledge of wines, including how to taste, evaluate, purchase and sell wines preferred but not required
- Skilled at and enjoys delivering excellent customer service
- Highly responsible and reliable
- Ability to train staff, either individually or as a group in a new store
- Ability to manage vendor relationships at a local level, including knowledge of how the wine distribution industry works
- Basic understanding of restaurant economics, how to read a P&L and how to manage costs
- Experienced with and proficient at using retail point-of-sale systems
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of products
- 21 years of age or older (must be able to taste and evaluate product)
- Fully functional sense of smell and taste, needed to understand wines
- Ability to communicate in English effectively, both orally and in writing
- Able to carry and balance a tray of full wine glasses; able to lift and carry a standard case of wine
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand long periods of time; walk; and be able to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
Diversity is extremely important to us. We recruit, hire and promote employees based on their individual ability and experience, in accordance with Equal Employment Opportunity, Department of Fair Employment and Housing, and Affirmative Action laws and regulations. Vino Volo does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, national origin, religion, gender identity or gender expression, sex, pregnancy, genetic information, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, medical conditions, or physical or mental disability.
Job Type: Full-time
- Management: 3 years (Required)
- restaurant management: 5 years (Preferred)
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Other types of insurance
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Education assistance or tuition reimbursement
- Employee discounts
- Workplace perks such as food/coffee and flexible work schedules