Full Job Description
Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Location: Washington, D.C.
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on qualifications
Department: Criminal Justice
Report to: Vice President of Criminal Justice - Corrections
Travel: Occasional travel expected
Arnold Ventures’ Criminal Justice initiative aims to advance community safety and the values of fairness, effectiveness, and racial justice. We fund innovative work in five domains: Policing, Pretrial Justice, Community Supervision, Prisons, and Reintegration. The Initiative works with teams of experts from inside and outside government and across disciplines to reform the U.S. criminal justice system through research, evidence, testing innovative pilot programs, and policy change.
We are seeking a Director of Criminal Justice – Corrections Reform to lead the evolution and execution of a strategy that invests in more effective and fairer probation and parole to achieve safer communities and reduced corrections costs. This individual will be responsible for identifying, analyzing, and pursuing new, high-leverage philanthropic opportunities in community supervision and managing current investments, partnerships, and strategies. (For more information about our community supervision portfolio, see https://www.arnoldventures.org/work/community-supervision.) The Director will report to the Vice President of Criminal Justice - Corrections overseeing the corrections portfolio, which includes community supervision, prisons, reintegration, and fines and fees.
- Drive community supervision strategy execution, in partnership with the Vice President of Criminal Justice, Executive Vice President of Criminal Justice, and Arnold Ventures’ Board of Directors
- Identify, develop, and present charitable investment/grant recommendations to Arnold Ventures’ Board of Directors
- Oversee investments and partnerships, and draw lessons from them to inform strategy and future projects
- Work with Arnold Ventures’ Board of Directors and the corrections team to develop and refine Arnold Ventures’ criminal justice strategies
- Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders, experts, and new and existing grantees
- Collaborate with other Arnold Ventures teams, such as Advocacy and Communications, to ensure probation and parole policy goals are advanced in states and nationally
- Collaborate with other Arnold Ventures teams to explore and develop cross-initiative opportunities
- Other duties as assigned.
- Advanced degree(s) in public policy, economics, law, business and management, or other related fields; or equivalent experience
- 7-10 years relevant work experience, preferably in positions involving policy, research and project management responsibilities with a focus on community supervision, prison policies, sentencing, fines and fees, reentry, and/or reintegration
- A deep understanding of the criminal justice system and criminal justice policy
- Proven commitment to and passion for social justice and impact
- Successful track record of developing and executing strategies to drive change
- Deep strategic thinker with a demonstrated ability to make an impact quickly – rapidly gets up to speed on new issues and confidently develops recommendations on a wide range of topics
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to thrive in a variety of situations
- Able to develop, engage, and collaborate with a strong, diverse network of organizations and experts
- Action-oriented, creative, and entrepreneurial self-starter who assumes personal ownership of work and is capable of effectively prioritizing and working simultaneously on multiple projects
- Intellectually curious, open-minded, objective, and receptive to feedback
- Ability to build trust, communicate effectively, and collaborate with senior leadership
- Effective leadership and management skills, including ability to support and develop colleagues
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
We are interested in receiving applications from qualified candidates who have been directly impacted by the systems we are seeking to change and invite all candidates to address their reasons for engaging in this work in their cover letter.