Acts as a liaison between the City and local utility companies, contractors, state parks and the general public regarding the issuance, monitoring and verification of permits; makes field inspections to verify contractors are in compliance with City specifications and permit limitations.
: Mobility and Infrastructure
: $36,484 - $40,572 per year
: This position is included in the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees, Local 2719 bargaining unit and will be filled in accordance with the provisions of the collective Bargaining Agreement.
Union Bid Form
: None required. Your application for this position will serve as your union Bid Form.
Civil Service Classification
To be eligible for this position bidders must:
1. Be employed by the City of Pittsburgh at time of bidding and remain continuously employed through the awarding of this bid.
2. Qualify by being on the current Non-Competitive Utility/Survey Specialist Eligibility List OR be currently eligible to transfer to this position. Bid award shall be made under the terms and conditions of the Agreement between the City of Pittsburgh and the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees and in accordance with the Civil Service Statutes and Rules. Bids must be submitted through the City's Online Employment Center by the closing date noted above. www.pghjobs.net.
: The City of Pittsburgh, as a matter of policy, conducts pre-employment and promotional background investigations on all candidates being considered for positions. The background investigation includes but is not limited to criminal background, driver's license and City of Pittsburgh real estate tax payments. Candidates may be disqualified from consideration from employment based on the results of their background investigation (as it relates to the job for which the applicant is being considered).
CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATIONS
If you meet the qualifying requirements listed above, you will be sent a letter of admission (when applicable) for the following examination(s). You must pass the written and/or performance examination(s) in order to have your name placed on the official Civil Service eligibility list for this position. Candidates who receive job offers must pass a medical examination (when applicable) prior to start date.
- Written: None required for this position.
- Performance: None required for this position.
- Medical: None required for this position.
- Organizes, plans, develops and coordinates the sale of permits for right of ways, shelters, ballfields, and any public areas.
- Provides street information to utility companies and to the general public.
- Records, files and indexes surveys, plans, documents and related information; maintains and operates microfilm equipment; complies, updates, inputs, retrieves and disseminates survey and real estate records and documents both manually and by computer.
- Furnishes survey and property information to surveyors, City personnel, etc. in person and via telephone.
- Drafts and scales plans of lots, surveys, street vacations, encroachment and new streets in reference sources.
- Identifies permit violations; issues revised permits and/or initiates permit application process; checks for illegal subdivisions on plans.
- Issues and reviews permits for information regarding location, duration and purpose of project; processes applications for curb cuts permits.
- Secures and reviews appropriate bonds and insurance certificates from utility companies, contractors and the general public.
- Receives, records and routes generated revenue to City Treasurer, balances accounts and resolves discrepancies.
- Acts as liaison between City and neighborhood groups concerning rental and usage of ballfields; attends community meetings as requested or required.
- Investigates and responds to complaints from the Mayor's Service Center and answers general correspondence.
- Performs activities and functions of related lower-level personnel as assigned or required.
- Performs such other related tasks and duties that are assigned or required.