Do you look at an app and try to figure out its database schema? Do you wish every website provided a full API? Do you worry about cache invalidation and naming things? SmugMug is looking for an experienced backend software engineer to help deliver an awesome experience to our customers. You'll be able to have a direct impact across all areas of our business, including user acquisition, website customization, image processing, and third-party integrations, with a focus on payments/ecommerce. We write non-framework PHP and make extensive use of Amazon Web Services.
- Design, develop, enhance, and maintain the internals of one of the best photo-sharing sites on the Internet
- Own a significant stake in projects that have a direct impact on the teams' goals, from inception to launch
- Participate in designing, proposing, and developing architectures that can perform at scale
- Be active in code reviews and discussions to learn, share knowledge, and improve code quality
- Work on a cross-functional team with engineers, product managers, QA, and designers
- Collaborate with other teams across the company, including customer support, data science, marketing, and operations
Nice to Have:
- 5+ years of experience building large-scale, server-based web applications
- Experience with PHP, preferably recent hands-on experience with PHP7+
- Knowledge of object-oriented design and methodologies
- Understanding of advanced client/server web architecture
- Familiarity with different development paradigms offered by PHP frameworks and non-framework architectures.
- Experience with AWS products such as S3, EC2, and CloudSearch or similar
- Experience with microservices, REST APIs, and data storage/caching strategies
- * BS in computer science or engineering equivalent
- Background in e-commerce
- A passion for photography and visual storytelling
We are committed to building a team that is as incredibly diverse and unique as our customers around the world. We welcome all backgrounds, skills, perspectives, and experiences. We deeply believe that a diverse team and an inclusive workplace make us stronger and enable us to serve our customers better.