PROGRAM DIRECTOR—VET TO VET MAINE
Vet to Vet Maine is looking for a Program Director who is a highly motivated, enthusiastic team leader with exceptional interpersonal skills and a passion for helping people, specifically veterans.
Vet to Vet Maine is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization incorporated in June 2018, currently serving all of Southern Maine with outreach throughout the state. We operate out of headquarters in Biddeford, Maine (at Volk Packaging Corp. offices). During the pandemic, we are operating from home offices.
This is for a half-time position (17.5 hours/wk) as Vet to Vet Maine Program Director to begin Sept. 8, 2020. We are an equal opportunity employer and consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, mental or physical disabilities, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. If you need accommodations in order to apply, please call us at 207-579-9204. Vet to Vet Maine believes that diversity and inclusion among our team are critical to our success and we seek to recruit and retain the most talented people from a diverse volunteer pool to serve a diverse pool of veterans.
OUR MISSION AND GOALS
Vet to Vet Maine is committed to alleviating social isolation and loneliness among Maine’s veterans and linking them to needed services. We accomplish this by connecting trained veteran volunteers with fellow veterans who need a friend. The volunteers visit at least twice a month and provide companionship, offer assistance with benefits, support independent living, and foster friendships and mentoring among veterans. During this time of COVID-19, we are following CDC guidelines and have discontinued in-person, in-building visits, instead asking volunteers to call, write, and communicate in other ways with their veteran friends.
As Vet to Vet Maine Program Director, you will work directly with veteran volunteers and the veterans they visit. You will be responsible for directing and coordinating all aspects of the Vet to Vet Maine friendly visitor program in conjunction with the policies and procedures set by the Vet to Vet Maine Board of Directors and the Executive Director and consistent with the Vet to Vet Maine strategic plan. Rewards include close working relationships with a highly committed team of veteran volunteers and the satisfaction of making a difference in the lives of veterans who need a friend. You will also share in the excitement and sense of accomplishment as part of the team as we expand the program and see it grow to serve the state and beyond.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Recruiting and training Volunteer Visitors
- Identifying and processing/interviewing Veteran Friends (veterans who request a Vet2Vet visitor)
- Matching Volunteers to Veteran Friends
- Supporting Vet to Vet Maine Volunteer-Veteran Pairs to include:
- Responding to problems and queries from Vet to Vet volunteers
- Linking veterans up with needed benefits and services; making referrals
- Identifying/keeping records of prospective veteran friends, interviewing them, preparing reports on each, and matching them to volunteers.
- Responsibility for recruitment, screening, interviewing of potential Vet to Vet Maine volunteers and resultant paperwork required.
- Overseeing training for potential volunteers at least twice annually, based on Vet to Vet training manual and curricula from established training course and in conjunction with volunteer instructors. May be virtual or in-person.
- Facilitation of bimonthly case reviews with volunteers and follow-up when required. During COVID, case reviews are held monthly via Zoom.
- Checking with volunteers/veteran friends at least semi-annually to see how things are going and whether they need referrals, problem-solving, or other assistance.
- Periodic assessment of program and volunteer-veteran friend matches.
- Assistance with special events, including an annual Honors Brunch and Celebration.
- Office duties: answer phone, paperwork for and letters to veteran friends and volunteers.
- Experience in program management, volunteer supervision, team leadership, and/or community service.
- Knowledge, understanding, and a passion for working with veterans, older adults, and people with disabilities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all constituencies, specifically volunteers, veterans receiving services, collaborating agencies/organizations including veteran groups, board members and executive director, regulatory agencies, and the community at large.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills and ability to develop creative solutions.
- Efficient, well-organized, and skilled at time-management when dealing with various competing duties.
- Familiarity with resources available to veterans/military personnel/older people and those with disabilities
- Recent experience in computer software programs and/or ability to learn and manage such programs, including volunteer software systems, Microsoft Office, Google database and other database systems
- Accuracy, including mastery of grammar, spelling, and punctuation
· 17.5 hrs. per week
· $25 per hour
· 2 wk. vacation (no holiday pay or health benefits for part-time)
· 3 days in office (flexible days to be determined in conjunction with Executive Director).
· Start Date: September 8, 2020
· Location: 11 Morin St., Biddeford, ME (Currently, everything is done remotely at home offices.)
How To Apply:
Please send your resume and a cover letter and explain why you’d be a good fit for this job. Please submit resume to Susan Gold via email or mail to: Vet to Vet Maine, PO Box 1205, Biddeford, ME 04005. FMI or questions, please call Vet to Vet Maine at (207) 579-9204. FMI about Vet to Vet Maine, visit our web site.
8/15/2020, 5 pm.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $25.00 per hour
For the near future, V2VME is operating out of home offices. Case reviews, interviews of veteran volunteers and the veterans they visit are all done remotely, either by phone or via Zoom. Training is all done virtually via Zoom.
- Microsoft Office: 1 year (Preferred)
- Program Management: 2 years (Preferred)
- Volunteer Management: 2 years (Preferred)
Hours per week:
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
Company's Facebook page:
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Temporarily due to COVID-19