As the region's only Level I Trauma center, Harborview Medical Center (HMC) is well known for innovations and excellence in trauma care and its centers of emphasis: Trauma, Burn, Neurosciences, AIDS/STD CARER, and mentally and medically - vulnerable populations. In addition to the centers of emphasis, HMC serves a mission population for King County. Harborview employees are committed to the vital role the institution plays in the immediate community, as well as the entire Northwest region. HMC is owned by King County and managed by the University of Washington (UW) and serves as a training site for UW’s School of Medicine. The UW is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
Our Food and Nutrition department has an outstanding opportunity for a full time, 100% FTE (40 hours per week), Variable Shift, Food Service Worker 2 position. This position is part of the Nutrition and Food services team performing duties of preparing and serving food and beverages to patients and retail customers. The person in this position will regularly lead, assign, train, instruct, and check the work of others. They may also function as an assistant to cooks or bakers.
Some weekend work is required.
The Food Service Worker 2 position is part of the retail team performing a variety of duties in the preparation and serving of food and maintaining sanitary conditions of a food service operation. Under general supervision, this position is responsible for a food service areas remote from centralized dining areas.
Job Related knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read, write, and speak English fluently as assessed by Supervisor/Manager upon hire
- Have corrective vision to size 12 type font and the ability to hear normal speech level
- Knowledge of kitchen and dining room work, standard kitchen appliances and equipment, personal hygiene, sanitation, and housekeeping practices
KEY RESPONSBILITIES AND PERFORMANCE STANDARDS:
- Learn routines involved in preparing and serving of hot, grilled and cold foods
- Maintain sanitary conditions
- Follow written and oral instructions
- Have respect in the work place
- Promotes positive public relations and helps create a relaxing, enjoyable environment
- Carry out responsibilities in an efficient, friendly, helpful and sensitive manner
- Take cash payment for meals
- Heat and dish hot foods for Late Evening Meal Service
- Grill Items for early breakfast service
- Request routine repairs
- Work independently 95% of the time
- Lead student employees and food service workers in operation of a remote food service area such as a snack bar counter, ice creamery, or soda fountain
- Participate directly in food preparation and serving; Maintain quality and portion control and ensure use of standardized recipes and formulae
- Prepare and serve specialty drinks hot or cold
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor
- Direct the operation of separate snack bar, fountain service, or small dining area
WORKING CONDITIONS, PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND EQUIPMENT USAGE:
- Espresso Café
- Late Evening Service Station
- Maleng Building Café
- Potential exposure to airborne infectious diseases from patients, visitors of the café
- Exposure to cooking equipment such as combi oven, grill, ovens
- Exposure to steam table
- Exposure to wet areas and noise in the main kitchen, café and dish area
- Exposure to cleaning and sanitizing solutions
- Ability to flex between Espresso Café, Late Evening Meal Service, Maleng Building Cafe and Catering operations
- Continuous moving about work area
- Constant standing on feet eight (8) hours per day
- Working in warm environments ( espresso machine)
- Frequent bending, stooping, reaching overhead, and pushing/pulling carts up to 25 pounds unassisted
- Lifting and carrying items up to 40 pounds unassisted
- Clear, audible speaking
- Correctable vision to size 12 type
- Ability to hear normal speech level
- Coffee makers, air pots, Ice cream cabinet
- Espresso machine
- Combi Oven
- Cash register
- Husky card machine
- Food Handlers permit within one week of hire
- Adherence to all policy and procedures of UW Medicine and HMC
- Adherence to appearance policy and department dress attire standards
- Department issued uniform must be worn
- Uniforms must be wrinkle-free and shirts tucked in
- Undershirts, socks, shoes, belts, and hair accessories must be black
- Apron must be clean and changed when soiled and removed prior to entering restrooms
- Hair must be completely contained in hair net while in the kitchen; beards and mustaches must be covered
- Possession of a food handler’s permit
- Two years of experience including one year of lead experience or equivalent education/experience
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs.
For detailed information on Benefits for this position, click here.
Education & Experience:
- Culinary or Nutrition-related Certificate, Associate or Bachelor’s Degree
- Serv Safe Certification
- Customer service experience such as at a snack bar counter, grill, ice creamer, or specialty coffee counter
- Experience making light lunches, grilled foods, soft drinks, ice cream dishes or specialty coffee
- Cashiering experience
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, the University of Washington will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability, and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 / 206-543-6452 (tty) or email@example.com.