We are looking for confident and experienced designers that can work independently, mentor entry level designers, and deliver work of exceptional quality across design, approval, and execution of Katerra commercial building projects.
Because Katerra touches all aspects of building design and execution, the candidate will have unprecedented opportunity to deliver plumbing solutions that are better, cheaper, and faster than the status quo. We're looking for candidates that are eager to leverage Katerra's in-house design, sourcing, R&D, manufacturing, and construction teams to transform the way we provide plumbing services in our buildings. Successful Katerra engineers are creative thinkers that take recognize design opportunities, take initiative to propose new solutions, and lean on data and first principles to advocate for new ideas.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Leading key aspects of plumbing design and project execution with limited supervision by a Senior Plumbing Engineer and in cooperation with other engineering staff.
- Performing engineering calculations and performance simulations.
- Preparing and reviewing robust design documentation.
- Coordinating with architecture, engineering, manufacturing, and construction teams to execute projects on time and on budget.
- Collaborating with R&D teams and leveraging learnings from projects to inform ongoing product development at Katerra.
- Providing unique subject matter expertise from specific project and educational experience to strengthen the Katerra team.
Required Skills & Experience
- Licensed professional mechanical engineer or ability to earn license within 12 months.
- 5+ years of plumbing design experience in multi-family, residential, commercial & industrial buildings (multi-family or residential experience is essential).
- Team player driven by a desire to make better buildings.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical, civil, environmental, or architectural engineering.
- Experience with design, specification, approvals, and construction administration project phases.
- Detailed knowledge of IBC and UBC families of codes along with local codes, especially those in the region surrounding your place of hire.
- Excellent writing, organization, and communication skills.
- Ability to develop design content efficiently with Revit MEP software.
- Ability to communicate complex design concepts clearly and quickly using either manual (sketches, mockups, etc.) and/or digital tools (Bluebeam, etc.).
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Engineering experience as part of a design/build or manufactured housing company.
- Demonstrated skill in the design of high efficiency hot water systems, sustainable water systems including rainwater, greywater and blackwater harvesting.
- Demonstrated engagement in ASPE, NFPA, or other related industry organizations.
- LEED AP accreditation or other demonstrated experience with sustainable design.