Provides Leadership and overall management for the residence hall experience in assigned residence halls housing between 240-500 resident students. The RLC is a live-in professional responsible for the administration, operation, staff supervision, residential education, crisis management, student conduct, advising, summer operations, and other departmental/university duties as assigned. RLCs coordinate the management of a residential complex along with the education program and staff supervision. This position is deemed essential emergency staff and is required to report for storm duty as well as respond to any other emergencies.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
1. Adheres to University and department policies, procedures, and regulations.
2. Handles day to day operations of assigned residence halls. Selects, trains, supervises, and evaluates 1 Senior Resident Assistant, 6-16 Resident Assistants, and indirectly supervises up to 20 desk staff members.
3. Manages hall programming efforts within the hall to offer students a diverse range of topics, both social and educational, at dates and times that will foster student participation. Manages programming budget which includes, but is not limited to, reconciling procurement
4. Processes all conduct forms received from staff as well as implementing conduct proceedings and sanctions when appropriate, and communicates disciplinary issues to Assistant Director.
5. Maintains open lines of communication with Assistant Directors and Senior Resident Assistant and advises Assistant Directors of needed areas of training for Resident Assistants and Senior Resident Assistants as they arise.
6. Manages operational functions for residence halls, such as building walk-throughs, damage assessment, reporting and billing, maintenance requests, hall openings and closings, and other administrative tasks.
7. Participates in year-round duty rotation to provide support to the residential population working closely with the Counseling Center, UPD and other campus resources.
8. Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
This position is deemed essential emergency staff and is required to report for storm duty as well as respond to any other emergencies. Participates in year-round duty rotation including nights, weekends, and holidays to provide support to the residential population working closely with the Counseling Center, UPD and other campus resources.
Utilizes a personal computer and computer software to include RMS Mercury and MS Office products. Demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Access for creating reports and documents.
Is able to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Demonstrates interpersonal skills including social perceptiveness, service orientation, negotiation, instruction and coordination. Is able to promote an inclusive environment. Demonstrates personnel management skills including motivating, developing and directing people. Proficient at both oral and written communication. Also proficient at complex problem solving, inductive and deductive reasoning, and problem sensitivity.
Bachelor's degree and two years of related experience.
Master’s degree in Higher Education Administration, Student Development, or related field
About The University of Southern Mississippi
Founded in 1910, The University of Southern Mississippi is a comprehensive doctoral and research-driven university with a proud history and an eye on the future. A dual-campus university, Southern Miss serves students on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, in addition to five teaching and research sites in Mississippi and through Online at Southern Miss. Since 2006, our students have collected three Truman Scholarships and 18 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships. USM students also lead Mississippi with 21 Goldwater Scholarships, an honor that recognizes the next generation of great research scientists. Our Drapeau Center for Undergraduate Research affords our students meaningful research opportunities, and as a proven leader in innovation, we conduct transformative research that translates into real-world solutions. As one of only 36 institutions in the nation accredited in theatre, art and design, dance and music, we are a haven for creativity and artistic expression. In the classroom or lab, on the playing field, or in the performance hall, we strive to have a positive impact not only on our students, but also the world around us. Further information is found at usm.edu.
As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.