SAE-3/Site Infrastructure & Programs Software
What You Will Do
This position will be filled at either the Software Developer 2 or 3 level, depending on the skills of the selected candidate. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if the candidate is hired at the higher level.
A division within the Business Innovation Directorate, the Software and Applications Engineering (SAE) Division provides software and applications development support and database design/ development and administration, software quality management, and enterprise application consulting.
The selected candidate will work as a Java Enterprise Edition (JEE) application developer to support the development and maintenance of institutional and departmental applications. The selected candidate will be assigned to various projects based off the needs of the organization and at the discretion of SAE-3 management.
Software Developer 2 Responsibilities ($72,500 - $118,200)
Responsibilities include but not limited to the following:
Software Developer 3 Responsibilities ($87,800 - $144,800)
- Designs, develops, modifies, tests, debugs, and evaluates software to meet functional requirements for functional areas.
- Gathers requirements and recommends and implements solution.
- Recommends changes in development, maintenance and system standards.
In addition to the Software Developer 2 responsibilities outlined above, the Software Developer 3 will be required to:
What You Need
Minimum Job Requirements:
Minimum Job Requirements for Software Developer 2:
- Self-initiate work with limited supervision.
- Use independent judgment for determining course of action to accomplish objectives.
- Use a broad range of advanced technical skills to solve complex technical issues.
Additional Job Requirements for Software Developer 3:
- Knowledge of software lifecycle including requirements, design, development, and testing with appropriate documentation.
- Experience writing and implementing business solutions using Agile practices.
- Experience developing web applications using Java EE as the core framework.
- Experience using development and source control tools such as Netbeans, Eclipse, Git, Subversion, etc.
- Demonstrated experience using markup languages such as HTML5, XML, etc.
- Familiarity with databases such as SQL Server or Oracle.
- Familiarity with the use of JSON.
- Demonstrated experience in authoring and consuming web services using both REST and SOAP protocols.
In addition to the Job Requirements outlined above, the Software Developer 3 requirements include:
- Experience using and tuning commercial application servers such as Weblogic.
- Professional experience using Java Persistence API (JPA) and utilizing a provider such as Hibernate or Toplink.
- Experience developing interfaces using Java Server Faces (JSF).
- Experience utilizing Enterprise Java Beans (EJB).
- Experience utilizing Java Messaging Service (JMS).
- Experience designing and implementing applications that utilize persistence layers such as SQL Server or Oracle.
- Excellent technical writing and verbal communications skills.
Software Developer 2 Education Required:
- Demonstrated experience implementing software utilizing the various Spring packages.
Position typically requires a bachelor’s degree and a minimum five years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Software Developer 3 Education Required:
Position typically requires a bachelor’s degree and a minimum eight years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. At this level, post graduate course work may be desirable.
Notes to Applicants:
Please provide a comprehensive cover letter that details how you meet the qualifications for the position.
(Position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements* for access to classified matter.
*Eligibility requirements: To obtain a clearance, an individual must be at least 18 years of age; U.S. citizenship is required except in very limited circumstances. See DOE Order 472.2 for additional information.
New-Employment Drug Test:
The Laboratory requires successful applicants to complete a new-employment drug test and maintains a substance abuse policy that includes random drug testing.
Term status Laboratory employees applying for regular-status positions are converted to regular status.
Please refer to Laboratory policy P701 for applicant eligibility.
Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regards to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.
Where You Will Work
Located in the beautiful mountains of northern New Mexico near Santa Fe, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. LANL enhances national security by ensuring the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear stockpile, developing technologies to reduce threats from weapons of mass destruction, and solving problems related to energy, environment, infrastructure, health, and global security concerns.
Our employees are our greatest asset, which is why we provide a comprehensive benefits package that offers health coverage for you and your eligible family members today and retirement plans for a brighter tomorrow. A healthy workforce is paramount to a successful organization. We offer an incentivized wellness plan and preventive care to encourage and reward good basic health choices. Also, for your financial wellness, we provide a tax-deferred 401(k) retirement plan, with a company match and service based contribution.