Public Works Construction Company Loomis, California
Want to make a difference. You are passionate, excited, process-oriented and want to affect change.
Not afraid to roll up your sleeves and dive into the details, support the team and learn something new (and teach us, too!).
Looking for a long-term home where you can make a difference.
Us: We are a rapidly growing public facilities builder looking for a Controller to lead our accounting departments and help us reach the next level of growth.
Us: We are family-oriented, driven to grow and succeed and to deliver excellent service to our community.
Controller - Position Responsibilities
Our Controller serves in both a hands-on capacity as well as an Executive Leader.
- Hands-on preparation of month-end close procedures, reconciliations, journal entries and monthly financial statements under the GAAP basis of accounting
- Supervision and review of the work of staff accountants, including review and supervision of accounts payable and payroll and serving as back-up to all of these functions when necessary.
- Perform analysis of monthly financial results including communicating variances and reasons for to company owners
- Performance of all construction accounting including monthly work in process (WIP) schedules, job costing and associated revenue recognition
- Assist company owners with banking and bonding relationships including preparation and submission of required filings
- Collaborate with department managers regarding company projects, including financial projections and forecasts
- Assist with cash flow management
- Oversight of all fixed asset accounting including cost analysis for purchase, inventory and valuation
- Preparation of regulatory filings including payroll, sales and use, property tax and schedules for audit and income tax filing
- Work with outside professionals including CPA firm, Banks, Bonding Company, and insurance agents.
- Oversee drafting of audited financial statements and tax returns with CPA firm.
- Human Resources functions to include oversight of Payroll/HR team, compliance matters, 401k management, vendor relationships and periodic evaluation of benefit programs and serving as liaison for all third party audits (OSHA, EDD, etc.).
As a member of the Executive Leadership team, the Controller will work with the Company President and owners to assist with the management of the company, including identifying areas for improvement, creating and implementing processes, providing information and analysis to assist in making decisions for the operations of the company.
What Does Success Look Like for our Controller?
- You have a fire in your belly to make a difference.
- When you finish your list, you make a new list! You are always thinking of ways to make additional improvements that help the business.
- You are the opposite of complacent.
- You are process oriented (if we dont have a process for something, we need one! And you will be the catalyst to create it.)
- You understand the role each of your staff performs. If they need help, you are there to roll up your sleeves and make a difference for them.
- You have construction and/or public works utility accounting experience.
The vision of this role is to grow with the company into a CFO position.
Controller - Requirements
- Bachelors degree in Accounting, Finance or related field
- Hands-on accountant willing to roll up your sleeves and perform duties, as well as serve as back-up to staff
- Strong financial statement knowledge, including preparation of financial statements
- Prior experience in an comparable accounting role including supervisory experience and financial reporting
- Strong financial statement knowledge, including preparation of financial statements and footnotes as well as financial statement analysis
- Experience and exposure to handling the Human Resources function
Controller - Preferred Qualifications (Not Required)
- Experience with the construction industry in an accounting role (job costing, WIP schedules)
- MBA degree
- CPA or CMA certification
- Prior public accounting experience
- Experience with ComputerEase software
- Experience with prevailing wage / experience in a union environment
This position reports directly to the Company President.
This position includes full company sponsored benefits including medical, dental and vision, discretionary performance-based bonus, retirement plan and other fun perks (we have a company racecar!).