In 2009, Accordion set out to prove that there was a better way to work in finance – and more specifically, a better way to unlock value potential in private equity portfolio companies. In the years since, our firm has grown into a bi-coastal team of 100+ finance and technology professionals, serving nearly 200 of the world's leading private equity firms out of offices in New York, San Francisco, and Boston.
Our mission is to shape a new era in the private equity industry. Focusing exclusively on the office of the CFO of PE-backed companies, we're committed to driving value creation through financial consulting services and portfolio operations technology.
So, what does it mean to work at Accordion? It means thriving in a high-growth, agile, and collaborative environment. It means changing the way private equity firms create value at their portfolio companies. And ultimately, it means making your mark on the firm's future – by embracing a culture rooted in humility and a firm-wide commitment to building something great, together.
What does PI mean at Accordion?
Building value for our clients in their portfolio of companies is our goal. How we reach that goal requires hands-on involvement with the company leadership to craft solutions to difficult business challenges facing their company. Using our deep skill set in uncovering the opportunities and levers available for value growth matched with the willingness to provide needed leadership, Accordion helps all stakeholders achieve better outcomes. Our wide tool kit of skills to build value includes liquidity forecasting, margin improvement initiatives, EBITDA enhancement actions and working capital improvement actions. Used properly these tools can significantly improve cash and earnings for a company resulting in a higher valuation and multiple.
Typical Example of our Work
When a business finds itself under liquidity constraints along with a lack of clarity on how to change the existing business trends, Accordion can help. After we establish a liquidity plan based on the true performance of the business, we and the senior management team build a set of specific key initiatives, recognizing the existing constraints, to quickly address the needed change. We then help to implement those same initiatives to quickly influence performance trajectory. We ensure that those improvements stay with the management team after we leave to help them accelerate performance into the future.
As a Managing Director in the Performance Improvement practice, you will be leading teams and working closely with clients in the office of the CFO of private equity portfolio companies to find and release trapped value utilizing:
- Liquidity Forecasting
- Margin Growth Initiatives
- Structural EBITDA Enhancement
- Working Capital Improvement
- Cost Optimization
- Inventory Acceleration
- Liquidity Enhancement
- Capital Structure Restructuring
- Operation Utilization Improvement
- SKU Rationalization
- Zero-Based Budgeting
- A+ Execution
- Provide high-quality consulting services by taking personal ownership for delivering client engagements that are fact-driven, solution-oriented and meet Accordion's A+ Execution standard for quality
- Supervise execution teams, providing senior project leadership and managing evolving client management needs
- Business Development
- Cultivate relationships with senior executives at client companies and private equity sponsors and leverage them to generate projects
- Support the business development team with client delivery or sector specific expertise
- Foster culture of growth and a business development mindset
- Act as a thought leader in the market
- Practice Development
- Responsible for building out key functions of the Performance Improvement Practice – including structure, talent, and services
- Develop services and deliverables around Liquidity Forecasting, Margin Growth Initiatives, Structural EBITDA Enhancement, and Working Capital Optimization
- Work with HR and talent team to organically grow the practice
- Lead, mentor, and professionally develop junior consultants, actively participating in the career advisory and performance review process
- Build team culture and environment for scaling a hyper-growth consulting business
- Oversee and execute on A+ client delivery
- Bachelor's degree. MBA appreciated.
- 20+ years' experience with combined experience at a private equity firm, consulting firm, and/or operating company.
- Senior level leadership experience across one or more of: Finance, Transformation, Operations, Strategy
- Deep "hands-on" restructuring advisory and/or distressed debt portfolio expertise coupled with strong financial and analytical skills.
- Expert experience in developing 3-statement financial and 13-week cash flow models.
- Absolutely stellar communication skills. Ability to lead clients and engagement teams through challenging in-or-out of court turnaround and restructuring situations.
- Exposure to working with private equity portfolio companies and their sponsors.
- Ability to effectively communicate via phone or email with clients as well as more junior team members.
- Ability to drive above-and-beyond solutions that bring creativity and thought leadership surpassing client expectations.
- Strong interpersonal, leadership, and team-management skills.
- Willingness to undertake extensive travel is required.
- High integrity, independent, and individually motivated.
- Ability to work effectively without an extensive institutional support infrastructure.
- Entrepreneurial spirit
Accordion Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.