AGMI is seeking an experienced Assistant Underwriting Manager to add to our team. We are a managing general agency, writing commercial auto and allied lines with a focus on passenger and general transportation business. The right candidate will be responsible for driving business results through innovative ideas and changes to business processes. This position is located in our Schaumburg, IL home office. The role may be partially remote due to COVID-19 with some office presence necessary at this time for in-person team collaboration.
The Assistant Underwriting Manager will report to the Underwriting Manager and provide direction, guidance and mentorship to the members of the Underwriting Department. In conjunction with the Underwriting Manager, this person will oversee the daily activities and operations of an Underwriting Department and all associated activities. This role will also promote and help build the AGMI brand
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Manage and maintain a profitable book of commercial lines business for the AGMI carriers
Building strong relationships with producers and foster excellent customer service.
Implement underwriting strategies which are aligned with the carrier’s mission and values to successfully meet production and profit goals.
Communicate the carrier’s underwriting philosophy, internally and externally, to facilitate consistency in our underwriting standards.
Manage staff to assure attainment of underwriting goals related to standards, date reporting, and system support.
Understand and monitor market conditions including pricing retention, entrants, and exits and provide analysis to senior management along with any relevant recommendations.
Fosters a collaborative and dynamic team environment
Focused on developing and monitoring key department metrics and goals along with the implementation of plans to bring the department in line with those goals.
Communicate difficult underwriting decisions to brokers and/or insureds.
Coordinate with Product Development with regard to product attributes and pricing.
Provide the Agency Relations team with agency performance feedback and recommend appropriate action.
Promote the development of staff through continuing educational opportunities.
Other duties may be assigned as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Problem solving—the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully
- Interpersonal Skills—the individual maintains confidentiality, remains open to others’ ideas and exhibits willingness to try new things.
- Oral communication—the individual speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, demonstrates group presentation skills and conducts meetings.
- Written Communication—the individual edits work for spelling and grammar, presents numerical data effectively and is able to read and interpret written information.
- Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.
- Quality control—the individual demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Adaptability—the individual adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Dependability—the individual is consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Safety and security—the individual actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly.
Education and/or Experience
Must have a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience with either a carrier or a MGA in the Commercial Underwriting field.
Must have a minimum of 10 years industry experience including 2 years of prior supervisory experience.
Proven ability to set staff work priorities/goals and assignments on a functional level.
Proven development and implementation of underwriting policy and overall business strategy.
Demonstrated knowledge of technical underwriting along with excellent organizational, mathematical, analytical, and financial skills.
Proven ability to manage department assets and resources to produce sound underwriting profit and growth.
Drives results through strong operational planning, development of objectives and implementation plans.
Extensive knowledge of commercial insurance policies and insurance industry trends.
Demonstrated ability to develop a team atmosphere.
Demonstrated leadership and project management skills.
Excellent computer skills which include MS. Office software, to include Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Visit us at www.agmiinsurance.com to learn more about our organization.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Vision insurance
Ability to Commute/Relocate:
- Schaumburg, IL 60193 (Required)
- Supervisory: 2 years (Required)
- Commercial P&C Underwriting: 10 years (Required)
- Commercial Auto Underwriting: 3 years (Preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place