Skyhook Interactive is looking for a talented WordPress developer to work with our project team to create beautiful custom themes for our clients. You will work with our design team through our project manager to produce custom websites and landing pages.
The developer should have experience building custom WordPress themes, has built multiple WordPress powered projects from the ground up, and is comfortable with the entire development process; including setup, back and front-end development, and launch.
Typical project responsibilities include:
- Receive & review comps from project managers.
- Prepare assets from design files (usually Sketch, though some clients still prefer Illustrator or Photoshop).
- Set up and execute development in a local environment.
- Use our base starter theme, version control, and staging server for project consistency and continuity
- Build the project following the provided design comps, pushing database changes to staging and code to version control regularly.
- Coordinate with the project manager to implement changes as needed.
- Deploy the completed site to the production server, maintaining the integrity of the code base as required, over time.
- Advanced knowledge of WordPress including theme and plugin development
- Experience with SASS or LESS
- Experience with GIT
- Comfortable with the terminal/command line
- Ability to extract and prepare assets from a Sketch, Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop document
- Ability to convert designs from Sketch, Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator into fully functioning WordPress based websites
- Ability to migrate/move a WordPress website from one server to another
- Experience with Web-based server administration software (cPanel, Plesk, etc.)
- Ability to troubleshoot & maintain legacy code and sites
- Flexibility, passion for the craft, and willingness to share knowledge
- Familiarity with industry web standards and good time-management abilities, including project planning and coordination with internal project managers
- Strong organization and communication skills, ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines with high attention to detail
- When you aren’t sure about something you are okay with saying “I don’t know, but I’ll look into it and get back to you.”
Nice To Have Skills
- Familiarity with Bootstrap, Tailwindcss or similar framework.
- Familiarity with PHPStorm, npm/yarn, Webpack, WP-CLI and similar tools
- Knowledge of accessibility best practices
- Knowledge of SEO best practices
- We use Advanced Custom Fields & Gravity Forms on nearly every project, so familiarity with those is a plus.
- 10 or more custom WordPress website builds or 5-10 years experience in the development field.
- Agency experience is a plus.
What We Offer
- Company-issued Macbook Pro with a purchase plan
- An enthusiastic team eager to help you grow
- Employer-sponsored health insurance plan
- Retirement plan options with company match
- Flexible work environment
- Fun, open office environment in the East Valley
How To Apply
At Skyhook, we care about maintaining a team that is full of thoughtful, motivated, and accountable people. You’ll fit in if you are proud of the work you do, support your team, look for opportunities to improve your craft, and want to work with people who care about each other.
- Write us a note, and answer a few questions about yourself using this handy form. Bonus points for including an introductory video.
- Impress us during a few in-person culture/skill interviews.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) Matching
- Flexible Schedule
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Plan
- WordPress: 5 years (Required)
- HTML: 5 years (Required)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19