Fire Mountain Gems and Beads is the leading catalog and ecommerce direct marketing company in the jewelry supply industry and has been satisfying customers with excellent products and customer service for over 40 years!
Based in Grants Pass, Fire Mountain Gems and Beads is located in one of the most picturesque valleys of Southern Oregon. The Wild and Scenic Rogue River flows right through the heart of the city and outdoor activities are abundant, with rafting, fishing, hiking, skiing, golf, and many other adventures just minutes away from the Fire Mountain Gems and Beads headquarters. And, the beautiful Rogue Valley is ideally situated just a half day drive away from either Portland or San Francisco, and an even shorter drive through towering National Forests to the breathtaking Pacific Ocean.
The Senior Systems Engineer is responsible for building, maintaining and troubleshooting our ever changing and expanding infrastructure. You will be part of a talented team of engineers that demonstrate superb technical competency, delivering mission critical services to our infrastructure and ensuring the highest levels of availability, performance and security.
- Responsible for the planning and engineering of Fire Mountain Gems' systems infrastructure
- Install, configure, manage, monitor, maintain and test all installed systems and server infrastructure using experience, industry standards, 3rd party utilities and scripting languages
- Maintain security, backup and redundancy strategies using industry standards and best practices
- Analyze all aspects of the existing infrastructure and recommends modifications that will enhance system reliability, availability, serviceability and scalability
- Proactively ensure the highest levels of security and system uptime
- Monitor and test application performance for potential bottlenecks, identify possible solutions, and work with developers to implement those fixes
- Leads large, complex projects to achieve key business objectives
- Solves unique and complex problems with broad impact on the business
- Assist in defining standards, guidelines, best practices and metrics
- Develops pioneering approaches to emerging industry trends
- Liaise with vendors and other IT personnel for problem resolution
- Any and all other duties as assigned
Desired Certifications, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Experience
- BS/MS degree in a Computer Science field or equivalent experience.
- 4 – 6 years’ experience in a Systems Engineering, Systems Administration or related field.
- Proven working experience in installing, configuring, and troubleshooting Microsoft server product
- Experience with Linux based operating systems beneficial.
- Solid experience in Active Directory, Group Policy, DNS and DHCP
- Working knowledge of industry standards in security and best practices
- Experience with virtualization: VMware, VDI, vSwitches, Hyper-V, VLANs required at minimum
- Experience with monitoring systems (e.g. SCOM, Nagios)
- Experience with automation software (e.g. JAMS, WSUS, Desktop Central, Orchestrator)
- Solid scripting skills (e.g. Shell Scripts, VBS and PowerShell)
- Solid networking knowledge (TCP/IP, DNS, Basic Routing, Subnet
- MCSE, Sec+, VCP
- Change Management (ITIL a plus)
- Payment Card Industry (PCI) standards
- Cloud experience beneficial
- Project management experience a plus
Integrity, Active Listening, Composure, Informal Communication, Positive Impact, Initiative, Change Mastery
Ability to remain in a stationary position 90% of work time with extensive computer use. Occasionally move about inside the department and within the main building of the company, with or without reasonable accommodation. On occasion may need to lift and relocate heavy objects, up to 100lbs.
Normal office environment, temperature controlled. Off hours support required for position.
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads is a drug-free workplace and is an Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.