Star® Roses and Plants is seeking a full-time time Laboratory Technician III who will perform a variety of laboratory and general duties to support the breeding program. This position requires working in the Lab environment, as well as outside work. Outside work includes work in the greenhouse and in the field.
Essential Position Requirements
- Performs established laboratory procedures, such as tissue culture maintenance, flow cytometry sample prep, and PCR/electrophoresis, to produce reliable and precise data to support scientific investigations. Follows strict safety procedures, sterile technique, and standard operating procedures as directed.
- Assists Research Scientist with experiments to improve tissue culture systems and schedules. Records all data and results in specified forms (paper and electronic) with accuracy and responsibility and provides regular updates to senior colleagues.
- Prepares growth media, laboratory stocks, and plant specimen by following detailed protocols. Maintains standard laboratory equipment (pipettes, pH meter, balance, etc.) and assists in ordering laboratory supplies.
- Assumes additional responsibilities as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Botany, Horticulture or related discipline or High School Diploma and 3 (three) years’ experience in technician role or similar capacity.
- Ability to perform work with a high degree of accuracy, organization and attentiveness, work effectively independently and as a member of a team.
- Knowledge/understanding of plant biology, molecular biology, or tissue culture or experience is an advantage.
- Basic computer skills in Word and Excel.
Job Type: Full-time
- horticultural lab technician: 3 years
- High school or equivalent