The Behavioral Health Clinician works in conjunction with members of the medical and behavioral health team to manage psychosocial aspects of chronic and acute diseases, apply behavioral principles to address lifestyle and health risk issues and provide consultation in the treatment of mental disorders and psychosocial issues.
The information in this position description indicates the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualification required of employees assigned to this job. Revise 08/29/2014
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum of three years’ experience as a social worker in a community mental health environment.
- Experience and knowledge of multi-ethnic and underserved communities.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English (Required).
- Demonstrated experience in a Managed Care setting.
- California Associate Clinical Social Worker, Licensed Clinical Social Worker, and/or Psychologist
PRINCIPLE ACCOUNTABILITIES. We acknowledge that all employees should have goals and objectives that support the Mission of St. John’s and that each should be accountable for personal, team and organizational goals.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Personal - Team - Organization
- Promote and integrate behavioral health services.
- Maintain protocols and procedures for integrated behavioral health activities across the St. John’s network.
- Assists the primary care provider in recognizing, treating and managing mental health and psychosocial issues
and acts as a contributing member to the primary care team and behavioral health team.
- Conducts client intakes, focusing on diagnostic and functional evaluations, then makes recommendations to
the primary care provider concerning the clients’ treatment goals and plan.
- Provides consultation to the primary care providers to enhance patient care.
- Provides brief, focused intervention for clients who are in need of mental health services.
- Assists in the detection of “at risk” clients and in the development of plans to prevent worsening of their condition.
- Monitors and coordinates the delivery of health services for clients as related to behavioral health care, including
linking with other treatment providers not only within the primary care setting but, with the clients’ permission, outside
it as well.
- Documents the clients’ progress and diagnostic information in the treatment chart.
- Keeps the primary care providers fully informed of the client’s needs and progress and works with providers to
formulate treatment plans.
- Provides consultation to clinic management and other team members about behavioral services and suggested areas
of outcome and program evaluation.
- Participates in case conferences with appropriate medical and ancillary team members.
- Supports Quality Assurance activities related to behavioral health care.
- Provides program reports.
- Assists the clients in complying with any medical treatment initiated by the primary care provider, such as offering
strategies to cope with medication side effects.
- Functions as a member of a multi-interdisciplinary team.
- Proficiency in the identification and treatment of mental disorders.
- Knowledge of evidence-based behavioral assessments and interventions relevant t medical conditions, e.g., disease
management; treatment adherence; and lifestyle change.
- Ability to make quick and accurate clinical assessments.
- Is comfortable with the pace of primary care, working with an interdisciplinary team, and has strong communication
- Care-management skills and knowledge of local resources for outside referrals.
- Skill in targeted, brief psychotherapy and in running group sessions.
- Ability to document services in a way that is useful both to the primary care provider and to management for quality-
- Consultation liaison skills.
- Ability to be flexible with schedules and work in a fast-paces environment.
Our mission is to eliminate health disparities and foster community well-being by providing and promoting the highest quality care in South Los Angeles.
The vision of St. John's is to deliver high-quality primary and preventive medical, dental, and mental health services that go beyond the borders of tradition to uninsured, underserved, and economically - disadvantaged persons in Los Angeles. We are devoted to instilling the value of well-being to our communities, resulting in self-advocacy, self-esteem, and self-sustenance through innovative and developmental programs and collaborative endeavors.
We honor and respect every person we encounter as a valued member of the human family whose gifts and rights are to be protected.
We support and champion individual and organizational growth, accountability, creativity, teamwork, and commitment to quality, and the best standard of care.
We promote and advocate for the full integration of our patient’s physical and mental health with their needs as an active member of a vibrant and just community.
We collaborate with others to develop systems, organizations, and programs that address the needs of and empower all members of our community with a preference for the most vulnerable and disadvantaged.
Commitment to Process Improvement
Employees will make a commitment to the change process and embrace new systems and technology designed to enhance employee skills and improve patient care.
Employees will actively engage in designing, implementing and optimizing new systems for efficient operating.
Employees will be dedicated to a patient-centered medical home model fostering excellence in customer service and patient care.
Employees will provide cross functional support to other employees which means you will be responsible for “other duties as assigned” to pick up the work load and rebalance the work load for continued efficiency in patient care.
Essential Job Functions include the following:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job and include the ability to type and operate a personal computer with various software programs, effectively operate standard office equipment, bend, stoop, crouch, kneel, twist, balance, and work at a desk, lift and carry up to 25 pounds, and communicate (written and oral) in a clear and professional manner.
Establish and maintain effective work relationships with co-workers and customers, maintain regular attendance, understand and carry out a variety of oral and written instructions, have knowledge of proper English usage, grammar, punctuation, spelling, and vocabulary, have the ability to learn office principles, practices, and methods, understand filing systems, including numerical, alphabetical, and chronological, learn a variety of procedures, policies, and services of the assigned work unit or program, perform assigned duties with efficiency and accuracy and maintain confidentiality.
Competencies are metrics used to measure how well you perform your duties and responsibilities on the job. For example one employee may handle X numbers of patients per day but when surveyed, the way the patient was handled or mishandled speaks to competence. Competence is measured on a scale of 1 (low) to 5 (high).
1 Results Orientation
- Employee takes initiative and sets high goals and consistently achieves goals as assigned.
- Quality of work is accurate and has consistent neatness and detail.
- Quantity of work meets goals and deadlines. Maintains a steady pace under pressure.
2 Decision Making and Problem Solving
- Weighs all facts before making a decision and willing to take action within limits.
- Consults with superiors before taking action. Digests relevant information.
- Anticipates and prevents problems before they get out of hand.
- Uses sound logic and factual information to analyze situations.
- Knows how to find information relevant to circumstances.
- Can withhold personal feelings and politics when making decisions.
4 Oral and Written Communication
- Is effective in one-on-one and groups situations.
- Can listen and respond appropriately discussing matters.
- Provides professional responses to internal patients and external vendors.
5 Flexibility and Dependability
- Performs effectively when faced with varying operating conditions.
- Punctual, attentive and accepts responsibility for all duties assigned.
- Can adjust quickly to changing environments and demanding situations.
6 Job knowledge and Technical Skills
- Proficient in job knowledge and technical skills required for the position.
- Shows understanding and demonstrates skills as needed.
- Learns new skills and terminology as appropriate in a changing environment.
7 Planning and Organizing
- Schedules time effectively, meets deadlines, to achieve all goals and objectives.
- Plans each day with priorities and accomplishes daily, weekly and monthly goals.
- Demonstrates good time management and strong administrative skills.
- Accepts corporate mission and objectives and is aligned properly to outcomes.
- Keeps supervisor informed with updates, reports, and changes.
- Supervises with integrity and demonstrates leadership when assigned employees.
9 Teamwork and Developing Others
- Builds teamwork and team spirit among all employees.
- Maintains solid working relationships that support and encourage one another.
- Enforces team concepts over personal bias and individual opinions.
- Maintains composure and objectivity when under pressure.
- Embraces change and new challenges with enthusiasm and energy.
- Handles themselves in a mature and professional manner.
11 Building Relationships
- Maintains rapport with employees, patients and stakeholder.
- Manages conflict constructively to achieve mutually beneficial outcomes.
- Builds consensus and overcomes.
- Employee is a positive role model and demonstrates integrity on the job.
- Develops others to maximum capacity for growth and incremental improvement.
- Manages others to win loyalty and commitment.
Internal and External
14 Quality Control:
- Understands internal corporate culture and can maneuver as required.
- Keeps abreast of new services and changes that affect the business.
- Keeps informed on community, political and legal matters pertaining to St. John’s.
Improvement of Patient Care and Profitability
- Exceeds patient expectations in providing services to our community.
- Properly matches patient need to appropriate referral service(s).
- Supports St. John’s Mission with enthusiasm and in a caring manner.