Job Description: Under general supervision, the incumbent plans, develops, and provides information and reference assistance, assisting in planning programs and special activities for the Children"s and Teen Departments. Incumbent is responsible for teaching children and young adults how to use the library. Job Responsibilities: 1. Provides reference, information and general library assistant to the public, particularly children and teens, in person, electronically, and by telephone.
2. Selects books and other library materials for the Children"s and Teen Departments.
3. Assists with implementation of programs, tours, outreaches, and special library activities.
4. Supervises department in the absence of the supervisor.
5. Prepares reports as requested.
6. Maintains social media presence to promote services to children and teens.
7. Assists in maintaining order and discipline in the department.
8. Coordinates with other Library and City Departments.
9. Performs database and Internet searches to assist patrons.
10. Attends professional workshops and meetings to continually update professional skills.
11. Assists with displays, booklists, and decoration of department.
12. Works evenings and weekends.
13. Performs additional duties as assigned. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Minimum Requirements - 1. Job requires a Master"s Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited university and one (1) year of professional experience as a librarian providing services and programs to children. The City of McAllen will accept, on modified salary, a Bachelor"s Degree from an accredited college or university and a minimum of one (1) year related work experience.
2. Job requires a current, valid Texas Class C driver"s license.
3. Must have working knowledge of common computer applications and use of the Internet.
4. Must have knowledge of library science and children"s and teen literature, permitting the solution of highly complex as well as routine work problems.
5. Must have clear, concise oral and written communication skills to prepare and present reports and programs.
6. English and Spanish bilingual communications skills are preferred.
7. Must be able to meet departmental goals and objectives, job responsibilities, and essential job duties.
Physical Requirements: 1. Must be able to lift or push up to 25 pounds on a frequent basis. Additional Information: 1. This is a safety sensitive position subject to drug and alcohol testing.
2. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
$18.75 hourly -