We are seeking a professional employee who has the desire to join our enthusiastic Project SEARCH team with rewarding outcomes!
Our team works with students with various abilities to provide training and support to help students gain meaningful, competitive employment in our community. This person will support students in learning job skills, giving them the opportunity for successful futures through community employment.
UnityPoint Health -- Allen Hospital Project SEARCH is an internship program that supports high school students with disabilities to gain and retain meaningful employment. It is a partnership between Waterloo Community School District, Inclusion Connection, Iowa Vocational Rehabilitation Services and UnityPoint Health -- Allen Hospital.
This position adheres to the Waterloo Community Schools District academic year calendar and is located within UnityPoint Health -- Allen Hospital. During the months of June, July and August, the employee will be providing direct employment coaching in local business environments with the benefit of a flexible summer scheduling. During the school year, hours are approximately 25 hours per week.
The successful applicant will be result-driven, focused, and has a “can-do” attitude. The applicant will possess effective organizational, interpersonal and communication skills necessary to provide effective job skills training, transportation training and support services to facilitate successful, community-integrated employment to Project SEARCH interns, with opportunities for advancement.
Inclusion Connection is a young, private non-profit organization serving the Cedar Valley area with a mission to promote inclusive communities that live, learn, work and play together. Visit our website at www.inclusionconnection.org.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION:
- Performs travel training with interns when utilizing public transportation
- Participates in basic job training (systematic instruction, lean and other appropriate training) and continual staff development
- Works with instructor to assess student skills and gather baseline data
- Works with business liaison, department managers, instructor and fellow job trainers to develop internship sites, write job descriptions, task lists, job analysis and plan for necessary modifications for the internships and competitive jobs
- Work with managers and co-workers to educate on disability awareness
- Reinforces employability skills and assists intern to understand and interpret work culture
- Assists in training intern in interview process (unique to each host business) in order for interns to gain both internships and competitive employment positions
- Learns the internship duties and make any modifications (label cabinets, simplifies written instructions, etc.) necessary to the successful completion of the job
- Attends job orientation with the intern and clarifies information with the intern as necessary
- Teaches the essential tasks/duties/core skills of the job to the intern
- Skills Trainer is assigned several students and will provide individual support depending on each intern and job task needs
- Builds natural supports and reduces the amount of time spent with each intern as core skills are developed
- Teaches safe practices according to the work environment and business requirements
- Models appropriate professional workplace behavior
- Work with manager to determine new skills as intern gains competencies and confidence
- Meets with the manager and peer mentor regularly to discuss issues and solve problems
- Assess student progress and give feedback to intern and team members
- Completes necessary evaluations, reports and other documentation
- Provides new internship ideas to team
- All other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of information and techniques needed to provide supports to interns and to provide guidance and training including appropriate job accommodations.
- Assurance and support for safety and security of the employee and the rules, regulations, precautions, prevention, and the protection of people, data, and property as required by the employer and Unity Point – Allen Hospital.
- Knowledge of diversity and inclusion best practice and ability to support inclusive employment.
- To have not had a felony conviction or founded dependent child or adult abuse record.
- To complete the requirements of health, immunizations and employee orientation of Unity Point – Allen Hospital and Inclusion Connection.
- Associates degree and 2 years’ experience or a combination of education and relevant experience to equal 4 years.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Office and hospital working environment. Typically an environment with adequate lighting and ventilation and a normal range of temperature and noise level.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: While performing the duties of this job, regular standing and walking throughout the day, use hands and arms to perform repetitive motions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus. Moderate dexterity application of basic skills (calculator, keyboard, hand eye coordination, etc.). MENTAL: Must be able to relate well to all people of the community regardless of color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, disability or socioeconomic level. Must be emotionally mature, stable, and tactful and be able to provide professional leadership.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $14.00 to $16.00 /hour
- Relevant: 2 years (Preferred)
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction