The primary purpose of the Patient Service Representative position is to give quality customer service while efficiently performing all essential functions. The Patient Service Representative participates in bed assignment in coordination with the Bed coordinator, registering new patients, validating patient information, following Transfer Center guidelines, Admitting/pre-admitting patients and dispensing quality customer service.
- Documentation- Assigns patient numbers to new hospital transfers that are direct admissions. Collecting Admission data, verifies demographic and insurance information. Updating and maintaining data in multiple applications. PSR must complete designated number of pre-admits as required on the productivity report. Upholds the confidentiality of all patient information.
- Customer Service- Ability to provide/ promote professional, efficient customer service through all communication and interactions with customers. Utilize effective customer service skills, answers patients' and family member's questions in person or via phone. Demonstrate concern and empathy to patients and their family members. Exhibits a courteous and professional manner at all times.
- Compliance – Meet compliance with Joint Commission and Medicare. Ensure that all patients have been asked about Advanced Directives. Ensure that a copy of the Advanced Directive and the Advanced Directive Admission Inquiry Form-Inpatient is placed in the medical record. Completing the Patient Medicare Secondary Payer Questionnaire and the An Important Message From Medicare About Your Rights on all Medicare patients.
- Forms – Prepares designated forms and patient armbands. Ensures the correct armband is placed on the patient 100% of the time.
II. Bed Assignment
- Patient Flow – Manage patient flow responsibilities to include coordinating and expediting the flow of patients through the admission process while determining patient disposition and direction while exhibiting excellent customer service skills. Communicate outstanding issues regarding patient placement. Ensure appropriate resource utilization and patient safety.
- Documentation – Completes forms and system applications as required. Update census as needed on required forms and applications. Documents daily bed assignment activities and manage multiple task simultaneously.
- Team Work – Works closely with the bed coordinator to ensure appropriate patient placement. Utilizes established Bed Assignment guidelines. Ability to work with others or independently on routine tasks. Forms positives alliances and team orientation with partners in achieving bed assignment goals.
- Adaptability – Ability to prioritize and re-prioritize in an ever-changing environment without sacrificing quality/customer service.
III. Transfer Center
- Telephone skills - Ability to utilize the conference and transfer functions via the telephone to appropriately connect the physicians on a recorded phone line. Follow up calls to and from the requesting facility
- Listening skills - Actively listen to the physician–to-physician report and other hospital representatives.
- Documentation – Demonstrate proficiency with the Transfer Center Data Base while obtaining critical clinical information received from physician or designee. Ensure completion of transfer center process on each requested transfer. Documents all related transfer center calls in the Transfer Center Data-Base. Utilize medical terminology proficiently within the Transfer Center Data-Base. Faxes reports to the appropriate Patient Access Service Center or Physician as required or requested.
- Data Collection – Maintain and collect data as it relates to the Transfer Center.
- Communication – Ability to communicate detailed information verbally and electronically to customers (physician, nurses and managerial staff) while relaying information in reference to a hospital transfer. Ability to utilize oral and written communication skills. Responds timely to involved parties request for hospital transfers.
IV. Other Duties as Assigned
Associates degree in Arts/Science or related field
One-year college/technical vocation school preferred.
Two years of customer service experience in healthcare, insurance or related field. May substitute required education degree with additional years of equivalent experience on a one to one basis.
Five years of related business experience in Healthcare, Insurance or related field. Bilingual fluency in English and Spanish. Bilingual fluency in English and Spanish.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
US Dollar (USD) 31,200
US Dollar (USD) 39,000
Maximum Salary :
US Dollar (USD) 46,800