Full Job Description
Job Summary ·
Conducts, plans, and coordinates data management studies, financial analysis and budgetary management for service line to help management improve outcomes, quality and cost-effectiveness of care. Designs and manages performance improvement data systems and procedures in collaboration with management to facilitate strategic business planning, financial planning, program development, marketing and regulatory compliance to ensure delivery of safe, cost-effective and high quality patient care. Performs clinical/financial/regulatory/marketing data analysis and trending to address programmatic and planning issues relative to service line operations across facilities. Collaborates with leadership and management to identify opportunities for quality improvement, cost reductions and streamlining of processes. Provides leadership and support to departmental staff involved in collection of administrative, financial and clinical data to ensure successful implementation of new systems, programs and initiatives. Facilitates and provides analytical guidance to external multidisciplinary taskforces, committees and councils.
Education/Training · Masters degree in Business Administration (MBA), Health Services Administration (MHA), Public Health (MPH) preferred or directly related discipline. Bachelors with relevant work experience may be substituted for the master’s degree.
Experience · 3 years of progressively more responsible job related experience which includes experience in hospital administration or management of a large business operation.
License/Certification/Registration · No special certification, registration or license required. Knowledge, Skills & Abilities · Job requires a high level of problem solving due to the complexity of the situations encountered. Work assignments are generally received in the form of broad goals for area of responsibility, and requires considerable judgement regarding the interpretation and analysis of data, policies, development of procedures, and selection of appropriate courses of action.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
1. Conducts reviews of Hospital and Departmental policies and procedures, making/recommending changes as necessary/appropriate for assigned cost centers to achieve their goals/performance objectives/expectations. Serves as a member departmental and hospital committees as appointed.
2. Develops and contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards and safety standards. Ensures compliance with hospital/facility policies and procedures and governmental/accreditation regulations.
3. Develops standards, procedures and processes to measure and ensure compliance with state and national regulatory requirements relating to the service line and individual physician credentialing. Develops, manages and standardizes processes for outcome/performance improvement data collection and competencies tracking, ensuring that all agencies have appropriate updated licensure and insurance plan information, and that all medical staff credentialing requirements related to Ongoing and Focused Professional Practice Evaluation (OPPE/FPPE) are met by the physicians.
4. Maintains appropriate communications within and between various functional units. Serves as liaison to external groups, including faculty. Ensures responsive patient services and relations.
5. Maintains current knowledge of data management systems, healthcare information technology systems, clinical and financial data repositories and warehouses, regulatory changes, technical and business developments and communicates relevant information to various stakeholders.
6. Monitors performance of outsource billing agents and works with hospital Finance and outsourced billing agents regarding assigned departments’ billing and collections to maximize revenue for the various departments/Hospital.
7. Participates in multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams as appropriate. Participates in meetings, serves on committees and represents the department and hospital/facility in community outreach efforts as appropriate.
8. Performs other duties as assigned.
9. Prepares and/or directs preparation of data management and administrative policies and procedures for areas of responsibility.
10. Prepares financial analyses and participates in negotiations for supply and equipment acquisition, and maintenance contracts in conjunction with the Vice President, Medical Directors and Purchasing.
11. Provides data analysis for strategic planning and coordinates development and implementation of business and marketing plans for areas of responsibility. Manages strategic business planning. Collects and evaluates data to identify emerging trends in client/customer specific clinical and financial data. Coordinates physician recruitment and conducting of department orientation programs to orient new physicians and residents with respect to the quality improvement and related programs and goals for service line.
12. Responsible for fiscal planning, results and control directly and through subordinate administrative personnel. Utilizes financial data systems to analyze, determine and submit revenue, staffing, operating and capital budgets. Ensures that fiscal targets are realized. Formulates and justifies all budget requests and monitors compliance and performance. Analyzes and reports on variances and develops corrective action plans to ensure unfavorable variances are improved. Ensures delivery of cost-effective care. Participates in revenue enhancement activities.
13. Supervises administrative staff of the service line. Interviews, hires, and evaluates performance, and when necessary, disciplines and discharges staff. Develops performance evaluation standards and objectives. Monitors staff productivity data to evaluate staff performance on an ongoing basis. Ensures complete and objective appraisal of subordinate performance.
14. Works collaboratively with others to organize, initiate, and coordinate continuous quality and performance improvement activities within areas of responsibility.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.