The Linux Architect will manage the day to day support of the Linux/Unix server environment and supporting infrastructure for NBCUniversal. This role will also be responsible for maintaining and supporting 24x7x365 high availability environments including key technology initiatives including but not limited to hardware refresh, operating system refresh, server consolidation, server support, capacity planning, and escalation for any Linux/Unix related issues. It will also provide support for project based changes for all supported applications.
This position will encompass technical and operational expertise for management of Linux/Unix environments. As the Linux Architect, you will oversee the management of server-based support, processes, and all Linux Administrators for NBC Universal globally. You will work with clients, technicians, designers and project managers to support the hardware and OS platforms within the NBCU enterprise. You will correspond with infrastructure and application engineering and operational teams to help create and ensure all necessary documentation is in place for new services involving Virtual and/or Physical servers. You will also be the point of escalation for any major impacting incidents where Linux/Unix support is needed and would manage until resolution.
Manage Linux/Solaris virtual and hardware technologies and process lifecycles in enterprise systems, specifically Red Hat and Oracle Linux and Sun Solaris including Containers/Zones/LDOMS.
Manage Linux Services by providing direction and oversight to Global Managed Service Provider.
Develop and maintain strategic engagements with Infrastructure Engineering, Delivery, and Application Teams to provide end-to-end delivery and support of appropriate infrastructure solutions.
Ability to apply OS updates to Oracle Linux, RHEL, and Solaris Servers, and address any issues that arise as the result of these updates.
Ability to perform troubleshooting related to disk I/O, CPU usage, load, and network connectivity.
Ability to translate a strategy into work plans that would feed all phases of lifecycle from requirements to implementation.
Manage and implement automated operational tasks to improve reliability and standards in the environment.
Manage and maintain consistent IT control structure to ensure reliability of data.
Provide regular audit reports for regulatory compliance checks such as SOX and PCI.
Oversee creation and maintenance of documentation as it relates to infrastructure systems, design, configuration, support and processes.
- Bachelor’s degree in an Information Technology, related technical discipline or equivalent practical experience required.
- Experience supporting Sun/Oracle Solaris in troubleshooting, patching and upgrading Solaris running on M & T series hardware.
- Experience supporting and troubleshooting Oracle and Red Hat Enterprise Linux based distributions.
- Experience in planning, documenting, validating and testing technical solutions in a global enterprise setting.
- Significant exposure to storage platforms (NetApp, EMC). Technical certifications and designations highly preferred.
- Experience working with EMC SAN, and NetApp infrastructures (including both physical and virtualized environments).
- Experience with virtualization in large-scale production environment, as well as cloud computing architectures and solutions.
- Willingness to travel and work overtime, and on weekends with short notice as required. - Available 24/7/365
- Ability to manage environments in multiple locations across the United States and Internationally.
- Well organized, able to manage people, plan projects and maintenance initiatives, track and report milestones.
- Experience in supporting public cloud with a preference of AWS.
- Experience in programming in either Python, shell, and Ansible.
- Team player with flexibility to adjust to changing requirements, schedules and priorities.
- Self-driven and resourceful to achieve goals independently as well as work well in groups.
- An effective and clear communicator (verbally and in writing), able to interact with heavily technical resources as well as with business users.
- Able to report out to management in an appropriate and easily assimilated manner.
Experience with network environments including high and low bandwidth infrastructures.
- Media Industry experience is preferred.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.