The Development Specialist is responsible for the planning, development and implementation of all of TCHC’s communications and public relations activities. He/she shall partner with and take direction from the Development Director at both strategic and tactical levels. This hire will regularly produce engaging, strategic, and error-free written documents to support TCHC’s interactions with the local community. Sample assignments will include: Communications Plans, Brand/Messaging Guidelines, Social Media Strategy, Marketing Metrics Proposals, CEO Speeches, Annual Reports, Website Copy, and Press Releases.
A successful candidate will take direction well from TCHC executives, asking questions to elucidate the main content, highlights, and strategic goals of any written communications. Final documents should be presented that are on message, contain no writing errors, and engaging for a targeted audience. Work from this role should require very minimal copy editing.
The Development Specialist’s work will primarily support fundraising and community engagement outcomes. This position will take direction from the Development Director, but may be assigned to support other departments and the CEO as needed. This role will also serve as a resource in advising and improving other colleague’s work.
- Responsible for creating, implementing and measuring the success of a comprehensive communications, public relations, and community engagement program.
- Said program shall enhance TCHC’s image within TCHC’s primary service area and achieve strategic messaging goals.
- Helps to develop and consistently articulate of TCHC’s desired image in the community. Advises on the creation of and implementation of branding and communications guidelines.
- Responsible for editorial direction, design, production and distribution of all TCHC publications.
- Coordinates media relationships for TCHC, and ensures regular contact with target media outlets and appropriate responses to media requests.
- Manages all TCHC’s print and electronic collateral such as letterhead, logo, brochures, etc.
- Updates TCHC’s internal and external website, keeping all content current.
- Update all TCHC’S social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter), increasing followers and generating engagement.
- Develops communications and engagement plans for specific initiatives and executes. Manifests a strong ability to identify audiences, channels, and fora to effectively deliver specific calls to action for targeted groups.
- Provides technical assistance to program managers in their communications activities.
- Leads special projects as assigned, such as cause-related marketing and unique events.
- Produces copy that is free of any written, grammatical, or readability errors.
- Develops content that embodies TCHC’s messaging platform. Revises and improves platform as necessary.
- Creates content that emphasizes strategic communications goals.
- Writes in a tone and voice that is customized for distinct audiences and deliverable types.
- Delivers content that is always on time and in a finalized and presentable format for mass distribution.
- Communicates effectively with executives and coworkers to understand the audience, communication goals, and formatting requirements of all assignments. If these are unknown, supports team members in elucidating a complete “brief” to determine the constraints and goals of each deliverable.
- Works effectively with design resources when producing content that will subsequently be modified by graphic designers.
- Liaises with internal staff to fill holes in content that are identified in the brief creation process.
- Attends workshops, trainings, and meetings as needed and as requested.
- Supports all Development Department deliverables as necessary, contributing to events and grants when required.
- Advises the Development Director on the evolution of TCHC public relations priorities and resources.
- Assists in creating programmatic (non-marketing, non-PR) communications when assigned.
- Performs other duties as requested by supervisor.Required education, experience, training
- Bachelor’s Degree. A concentration in Business, English, Marketing, Communications, Public Health, or Philosophy (or related fields) is preferred.
- Experience writing documents for public distribution, and generating professional writing with minimal supervision.
- Experience developing messaging platforms, and using written content to motivate the public to action.
- A comfort with written English that enables impactful, compelling communications.
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of communications and public relations activities.
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational and personal sales skills.
- Demonstrated successful experience writing press releases, making presentations. and interacting with media.
- Experience overseeing the design and production of print materials and publications.
Preferred education, experience, training
- Advanced degree in Public Health, Public Policy, Communications, Marketing, English, Business Administration, or other relevant field(s) preferred.
- Prior work experience in Marketing, Communications, or Public Relations.*
- Prior work experience in non-profits, particularly Community Health Centers.*
- Marketing or Communications certificate preferred.
Job Type: Full-time
- Public Relations: 1 year (Required)