Baseball Operations Analyst
Director of Baseball Analytics
The San Francisco Giants are seeking an Analyst to join the Baseball Operations department. This individual will be part of the R&D team and provide research and analysis to support the front office and player development staff. This position will also work closely with the application development team to design and develop statistical models and tools using advanced data sources within new and existing applications. The ideal candidate will possess strong analytical skills, the ability to communicate effectively to non-technical people, and both passion and intellectual curiosity for the game of baseball.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Provide statistical analysis and quantitative research to support Baseball Operations staff
- Communicate analysis to Baseball Operations staff effectively
- Research, design, and test predictive and statistical models using data and technology to support all aspects of Baseball Operations
- Collaborate with application development team to design and integrate analytic tools into existing baseball information system
- Maintain understanding of new public baseball research and emerging statistical tools, as well as all potential vendor data/technology options
- Bachelor's degree in computational field, such as statistics, engineering, computer science, or applied math
- Proficiency with SQL and relational databases (Microsoft SQL preferred)
- Bilingual in Spanish is a plus.
- Experience with additional programming languages (e.g. R, Python) is strongly preferred
- Understanding of statistical modeling and machine learning techniques
- Ability to communicate effectively to all members of Baseball Operations
- Passion for baseball, intellectual curiosity, and understanding of sabermetric concepts
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, holidays, and travel as dictated by the baseball calendar
- Must be willing to travel extensively
- High level playing experience is preferred
We are an equal employment opportunity employer and consider applicants for all positions regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, medical condition or disability, genetic condition, marital status, domestic partnership status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status and any other protected class under federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.