IBM Quantum is an industry first initiative to build universal quantum computers for business, engineering and science. This effort includes advancing the entire quantum computing technology stack and exploring applications to make quantum broadly usable and accessible. With a worldwide network of Fortune 500 companies, academic institutions, researchers, educators, and enthusiasts, we are committed to driving innovation for our clients in the IBM Q Network and the Qiskit Community.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Join an elite team driving research and development of the industry’s most advanced quantum computing hardware and software and helping our clients explore the use of quantum computing for their most pressing business challenges. IBM Q is seeking an experienced Quality Assurance (QA) and Test Automation Engineer to ensure quality and software testing rigor to IBM Q’s system software stack. You will be part of the team, primarily based in Yorktown Heights, NY, that is developing the software that is core to IBM's quantum computers.
Role & Responsibilities:
- The Quality Assurance (QA) & Test Automation Engineer will lead the overall testing effort and work closely with software engineers in a collaborative and agile team environment to ensure quality of the code and the solutions developed by the IBM Q Systems Software development team. This role will be responsible for creating and executing automated test harnesses, testing and reporting manual scenarios, testing new features, verification of software solutions, testing of patches or hot fixes, and automated integration testing.
- Lead the effort in performing software backend testing and integrated frontend/backend testing
- Collect, analyze, and classify sample log messages and create methods for parsing them
- Determine the best method for integrating logging/messaging sources
- Estimate, plan, develop, execute, and maintain test cases and test protocols for software under development
- Play hands-on role in the development and maintenance of functional and integration tests
- Writing and updating manual test cases for specific areas, based on functional specifications
- Reporting and verifying defects using the defect tracking tool
- Report status on a regular basis and ensure a high level of quality for all deliverables
- Work with internal groups to implement, test, and document device support including processing, alerting, and reporting capabilities
- Work with project management to meet the testing milestones and deliver high quality solutions on time
- Share domain knowledge with the rest of the team to continually expand the overall group capabilities
- Work with peers, especially cross-functional teams in a development environment
This position is located in the NYC area or remote.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- 5+ years of experience with automated unit and integration testing and 3+ years of QA leadership experience
- 3+ years of experience in QA/testing of Cloud based offerings (IBM Cloud, AWS, Azure, etc)
- Experience with QA methodologies and Test Automation Frameworks
- Extensive experience with testing Python and other modern scripting language based components
- Experience working with Regular Expressions
- Experience with front-end & backend testing
- Expert with unit testing and test-driven development
- Thorough understanding of smoke testing, black-box, and non-black box testing, as well as regression testing
- Experience in estimating, prioritizing, and planning testing activities
- Strong oral and written communication skills
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience working with DevOps automation tools (e.g., Jenkins, Ansible) and knowledge of DevOps best practices
- Experience with Github for work-items and source control in a CI/CD environment
- Experience using Agile methodologies
- Experience in application log analysis, security log analysis, and general log management best practices
About Business Unit
IBM Systems helps IT leaders think differently about their infrastructure. IBM servers and storage are no longer inanimate - they can understand, reason, and learn so our clients can innovate while avoiding IT issues. Our systems power the world’s most important industries and our clients are the architects of the future. Join us to help build our leading-edge technology portfolio designed for cognitive business and optimized for cloud computing.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.