Thrive in our highly collaborative, digitally-driven and innovation-led environment. Nurture your talent for thoughtful and game changing solutions in our inclusive culture that values diversity of ideas, experiences and backgrounds.
Responsibilities and Duties
As an Application Performance Engineer, some of your key responsibilities may include:
- Defining the strategy for enabling performance diagnostics and monitoring through the use of an Application Performance Management (APM) tool, other monitoring tools, and diagnostic techniques.
- Identifying, evaluating, and recommending monitoring tools and diagnostic techniques relevant to the application architecture. Assess gaps in as-is monitoring tool capabilities and recommend tools to augment or replace.
- Learning an application's design to assess for performance risks and identify areas to apply past learnings
- Instrumenting applications to enable performance diagnostics and monitoring
- Collaborating with Performance Engineering leads and project team to review and refine application NFRs, SLAs, & KPIs to create acceptance criteria and performance budgets necessary to measure, validate, and improve performance
- Collaborating with developers to promote the concept of performance engineering during all phases of the SDLC to detect and correct performance issues earlier in the lifecycle
- Monitoring application performance during performance tests or production usage through the use of APM and other monitoring tools to isolate the fault domain, dive deep into application code, and identify root cause of performance issues.
- Utilizing static code and dynamic code analysis to identify performance and maintenance concerns
- Profiling application performance from end-user perspective to inventory performance concerns and suggest tuning opportunities across the application stack
- Performing deep dive JVM analysis examining garbage collection logs, heap dumps, and thread dumps as needed.
- Documenting performance findings and recommendations
- Interacting with client and/or Accenture development, operations, and infrastructure resources to recommend solutions to remediate performance issues
- Participating in re-architecture, redesign, and refactoring decisions to satisfy performance requirements
- Developing dashboards and reports to provide ongoing visibility into the performance of client applications
- Contributing learnings and experiences to the Accenture Performance Engineering community
Required Experience, Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum of 4 years' hands-on experience with performance tuning, diagnostic or monitoring
- Minimum of 2 years' hands-on design / development experience (e.g. Java, .Net, etc.)
- Minimum 1 year's hands-on experience performance diagnostics tools (e.g. AppDynamics, Dynatrace, New Relic, CA APM (previously Wily Introscope), etc.)
- Experience delivering software designed for high concurrency, scalability, or availability
- Experience using Application Performance Management (APM) tools (e.g. AppDyanmics, DynaTrace, New Relic, CA Introscope APM, HP Diagnostics)
- Hands-on experience collecting performance data, analyzing, troubleshooting, and tuning
- Hands on analysis, reverse engineering, debugging, and profiling Java code (e.g. Eclipse Profiler, Eclipse TPTP, JProbe, JProfiler, Yourkit, VisualVM, Valgrind, NetBeans profiler, JConsole, JBoss Profiler, JAMon, JRocket Flight Recorder)
- Exposure to Cloud, SaaS, and virtualization concepts and performance concerns
- Exposure to application threading and concurrency concerns
- Working knowledge of operating system design , processes, and threading model
- Bachelor's degree
Professional Skill Requirements
- This role requires 100% travel flexibility to travel and work onsite with clients (typically Monday - Thursday)
- Proven success in contributing to a team-oriented environment
- Proven ability to work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment
- Desire to work in an information systems environment
- Excellent leadership, communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
Job Type: Full-time